Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Ubuntu Still Be Distributed As A CD ISO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
    i dont get how larger images can save bandwith...
    You download the image. You can install many machines from that one image. But each install then requires you to hit the Internet to grab extra packages that aren't on the image. If they're on the image, you download them once rather than for each install.

Comment

Not a problem for me

It wouldn't bother me if they changed, I can't remember the last time I used optical media to install Ubuntu. I always use a usb stick.

Comment

I realize that anybody who doesn't have a video card that supports accelerated 3D is using legacy technology ()...however, I still don't think Unity 2D should be considered "extra".

Comment

Since Ubuntu 10.10 cmov requirement dropped in, therefor the low-end (old hardware) that probably would not have a DVD drive would not be able to run newer official releases of Ubuntu at all. Leaving three kind of x86 architectures for non-geeks:

I386 "last supported since 10.04 LTS"
          I686 "default since 10.10, 11.04 can someone confirm?"
          AMD64 "available for a while"

The first would have booted on most old PC's which probably shipped without DVD, but still be able to run Ubuntu lxde quit well. The second and especially the last architecture will run only on PC's that already shipped with DVD drives.

My point is that I rather see i386 continued on a CD-version and i686 skipped for the AMD64 version which may be DVD-only. For DVD I would put the size limit around 4GB so it will fit USB-sticks of that size.

Comment

Rural broadband on sunny old Blighty is pitifully slow, so I don't fancy being required to increase my download size by (almost) 50%. It's already painful (NB: "move into a city" is not a reasonable response - I like trees ).

With that said, even our rural broadband is faster than some countries, so they'd fare even worse than me.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
              You download the image. You can install many machines from that one image. But each install then requires you to hit the Internet to grab extra packages that aren't on the image. If they're on the image, you download them once rather than for each install.
              but this way you download a lot of cruft that you might not need. and many people have only one computer so they would get the image anyway. besides, they will download the package if its outdated. so no matter what, it'll get downloaded.

Comment

I don't have a strong opinion on the image size issue, but they should definitely do something to get usb-creator out of the end user USB install process. Either ship an image that works with dd or switch to a tool like UNetbootin that's actually packaged on other Linux distros.

Comment

Originally posted by judgen View Post
                  I really want to keep the possibillity to burn a net-boot mini.iso for network install to a CD. The full distro? meh... Then i defer to the earlier speaker as his/her comment is very valid.
                  I PXE boot into the net-installer at home and work. It makes life a hell of a lot easier for not needing to find media or a USB key to deal with.

I get that full installers are still necessary for places with limited/no Internet access, but for most of the sites I'm on, netbooting works a charm. When installing CentOS/RHEL systems, I also generally use netboot images for ease.

Comment

Optical media are a disease.

Comment

Ubuntu Net install

Perhaps what they need as a graphical net installer. If you have an internet connection, it makes more sense since this avoids you from downloading updates; specially with LTS images.

Comment

Working...
                      X