• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't even gnome3 :-/

Comment

Originally posted by djselbeck View Post
      This isn't even gnome3 :-/
      I would take a screen but I am no longer running gnome 3 right now (have a nice new laptop coming )

Basically what it looks like is the top bar has horizontal rainbow colors, and all the icons are like white noise.

Comment

Originally posted by allram View Post
        I dont know if that was the so called Gnome3 problem, that bwat47 mentioned.
        Dude... that's Unity. Ubuntu isn't using Gnome3.

Comment

Is there a trick to installing this in the new Ubuntu? I don't think it is doing anything, but I see no errors. Maybe some tools package I used to have installed and lost on my fresh reinstall?

Code:
          Created directory fglrx-install.XKZ39Z
          Verifying archive integrity... All good.
          Uncompressing ATI Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver-8.85......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
          =====================================================================
           ATI Technologies Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver Installer/Packager 
          =====================================================================
          Detected configuration:
          Architecture: x86_64 (64-bit)
          X Server: X.Org 6.9 or later 64-bit
          Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.XKZ39Z

Comment

The trick is actually following the directions http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...ivers_manually

Comment

Oh a wiseguy eh? nyuk nyuk

Thanks for that. I was looking through that Wiki but must have missed the ubuntu specific page. Looks like more steps than I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
                Could you make a screenshot of that, so everyone might know, what it is? I can't find it.
                A screenshot of the settings please, I don't find it and my gnome-shell activity bar looks really crap

Comment

I have to say, this latest driver is amazing. I have installed 11.5 on Ubuntu on an ageing laptop, and am very impressed at how smooth everything is. I'm using Extra Visual Effects, and I'm just blown away at how nice it is. For a 3 year old laptop, I could not desire any better performance than this. Thank you AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by unixftw View Post
                    I have to say, this latest driver is amazing. I have installed 11.5 on Ubuntu on an ageing laptop, and am very impressed at how smooth everything is. I'm using Extra Visual Effects, and I'm just blown away at how nice it is. For a 3 year old laptop, I could not desire any better performance than this. Thank you AMD.
                    lol. How is a 3 year old laptop an "aging" one? If a 3 year old hardware wasn't running anything smoothly, that would be a reason for rage. That it does run smooth should be expected and is no reason for praise.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      lol. How is a 3 year old laptop an "aging" one? If a 3 year old hardware wasn't running anything smoothly, that would be a reason for rage. That it does run smooth should be expected and is no reason for praise.
                      Well, considering the difficulty I had with 4 year old AMD desktop hardware, it is a welcome improvement. The AMD GPU hardware I had was basically unusable. At that time I was forced to buy a very cheap discrete nvidia GPU in order to be able to do anything GPU related. This situation lasted for several years, AFAIK, at least from what I heard from other people.

To go from unusable to very usable, no tearing etc. after such obvious difficulty, well, AMD obviously did more than a token effort and I think it's worthy of praise. I know nvidia's Linux driver has been good in all that time, but at least AMD open sourced their stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X