No announcement yet.

Catalyst 11.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I have that damn bug with my mouse in the lower right corner, it made me frustrated enough to go back to 11.4, despite its slower performance. To those that have issues with slow and jerky performance in ubunty natty, for some reason compiz comes with the sync to vblank option enabled by default. Go into compizconfig settings manager and make sure that there is not a check next to sync to vblank in the opengl plugin section. I really don't get why they enabled it by default, compiz's sync to vblank has never given me any benefit on any hardware I have used. Anyway, the drivers performance will still suck after that, but just the usual amount

Comment

Originally posted by robertgordonkey View Post
      Hi I installed 11.5 Catalyst drivers 64bit in Ubuntu 11.04 and find them very jerky with poor performance. I have a Sapphire HD radeon 6870 graphics card. It performs extremely well under windows 7 (gives 7.8) and is ultra smooth and quiet. Under Linux they are terribly jerky. Google earth looks like a sick intermittent slide show. I put an MSI vn 240GT (low end) card in to test, installed the NVIDIA drivers and wow. This low end NVIDIA card completely out performs my HD 6870 which is more than double the cost of the NVIDIA card.

Very disappointing. I have reported to AMD on several occasions but there is no response. I have a AMD Phenom II 1090T processor (6 core 3.6GHz per core) and a SATA 3 drive, so my machine is very fast.

The Catalyst drivers seem better in Maverick but nowhere near the windows quality.
      They are unusable under Linux.

Hi
      Sad to hear that you are dissapointed with your setup.

I have this little machine:

which is pretty much the same setup as yours.
      Playing e.g. Penumba at full hd and Dolphin Emulator with no issues.
      I just tried google-earth and it works pretty well and fast. Since when
      they have flight sim in there ?!?! This is sick, love it !!!

I am using Catalyst driver 11.5 and Debian Squeeze AMD64.

I guess you drivers aren't installed properly.
      Drop me a note if you need more information.
      BR
      paines

Comment

Hi I installed 11.5 Catalyst drivers 64bit in Ubuntu 11.04 and find them very jerky with poor performance. I have a Sapphire HD radeon 6870 graphics card. It performs extremely well under windows 7 (gives 7.8) and is ultra smooth and quiet. Under Linux they are terribly jerky. Google earth looks like a sick intermittent slide show. I put an MSI vn 240GT (low end) card in to test, installed the NVIDIA drivers and wow. This low end NVIDIA card completely out performs my HD 6870 which is more than double the cost of the NVIDIA card.

Very disappointing. I have reported to AMD on several occasions but there is no response. I have a AMD Phenom II 1090T processor (6 core 3.6GHz per core) and a SATA 3 drive, so my machine is very fast.

The Catalyst drivers seem better in Maverick but nowhere near the windows quality.
        They are unusable under Linux.
        Well I know how to fix your problem. It is not due to catalyst, but a compiz option enabled in Ubuntu 11.04.

Fix:
        Install CompizConfig Settings Manager.
        Open the manager, and do this
        General -> OpenGL -> deactivate vertical sync (Its not in English on in my version, so name might differ.)

This will deactivate vsync and not give you double vsync as before, as the catalyst provides this too.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
          Well I know how to fix your problem. It is not due to catalyst, but a compiz option enabled in Ubuntu 11.04.

Fix:
          Install CompizConfig Settings Manager.
          Open the manager, and do this
          General -> OpenGL -> deactivate vertical sync (Its not in English on in my version, so name might differ.)

This will deactivate vsync and not give you double vsync as before, as the catalyst provides this too.
          Hi I did turn this setting off but it made no difference.
          I have found that If I use the integrated video card in the 890GX chip set HD 4290 the performance is quite good, much better than the HD 6870 under Linux that is. I will install Debian squeeze and check it out although I don't think there will be any difference.
          The one thing is I only have 400W power supply but the fan is not being turned hard on and it is winter here.
          Thanks for the info.
          Rob

Comment

SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED at last!!!!!

I installed Debian squeeze and google earth and the drivers and wow beautifully smooth graphics!! I can't believe it. Under Ubuntu natty the google earth jerks like an intermittent slide show. Under Debian squeeze google earth is so smooth it is actually better than under windows.
            I turned off the vsync blank option in compiz manager in Ubuntu but this really makes no difference at all.

So what settings must I change in Ubuntu to get the graphics to work like Debian?
            Or should I kick Ubuntu out the window and return to Debian after a 1 year lapse?

I thought Linux is Linux but obviously I was wrong.

Seriously would anyone know the difference in terms of graphics between Ubuntu Linux and Debian Linux?
            Thanks,
            Rob

Comment

I installed Debian squeeze and google earth and the drivers and wow beautifully smooth graphics!! I can't believe it. Under Ubuntu natty the google earth jerks like an intermittent slide show. Under Debian squeeze google earth is so smooth it is actually better than under windows.
              I turned off the vsync blank option in compiz manager in Ubuntu but this really makes no difference at all.

So what settings must I change in Ubuntu to get the graphics to work like Debian?
              Or should I kick Ubuntu out the window and return to Debian after a 1 year lapse?

I thought Linux is Linux but obviously I was wrong.

Seriously would anyone know the difference in terms of graphics between Ubuntu Linux and Debian Linux?
              Thanks,
              Rob
              Then I am pretty darn sure about the vsync was enabled in Natty :P Enabling / disabling vsync in other distros will probably not do anything, since it is a bug introduced with Unity AFAIK. But concrats

Comment

I installed kde desktop in Ubuntu Linux 11.04 and the graphics is also super smooth like in Debian squeeze.

I also used the classic desktop in Ubuntu (I turned Unity off) and this also made no difference. Still jerky grahpics.

So there is some setting in gnome/Unity that affects graphics that Ubuntu have made that affects graphics. I suppose they will fix it in time.
                Thanks for your help. I use google earth to look for mountain bike routes to ride.

Oh I also installed a gigabyte gtx 560 TI with drivers and the story is the same.
                Jerky graphics with Ubuntu Linux default desktop Unity/gnome. Super smooth with debian and kde desktop in ubuntu linux.
                The hd 6870 and gtx 560ti are top end video cards. So I hope Mark Shuttleworth solves these problems.
                Cheers,
                Rob

Comment

Install Debian then. Why use Ubuntu if they're screwing things up? Shuttleworth is the new Gates? Ubuntu is going further away from Debian? It looks like they are doing their own thing and usually go on their own road compared to the rest of the Linux community and should not be rewarded for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    Install Debian then. Why use Ubuntu if they're screwing things up? Shuttleworth is the new Gates? Ubuntu is going further away from Debian? It looks like they are doing their own thing and usually go on their own road compared to the rest of the Linux community and should not be rewarded for that.
                    I agree, if debian is working, stick with debian, but faulting a linux distro, even Ubuntu, for trying to innovate, and blaze a possible new trail is counterproductive thinking, and holds back the community from evolving linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X