Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Announced: Qt 5 To Be Released Next Year

Phoronix: Just Announced: Qt 5 To Be Released Next Year

Just announced during the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Budapest is word that Qt 5 is in development and will be released in the next calendar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also, lots of talk about Wayland and OpenGL (ES) 2.0.

Link to Qt Labs: http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/05/09/...ts-about-qt-5/

Comment

The article says that Qt5 will be modularized, but it already is. Does it mean it will be more modularized?

Qt4 already has components like QtCore, QtGUI, QtXML, QtNetwork, Phonon, etc.

Hopefully more details come out soon.

Comment

Nokia has also just announced that they will be moving Qt towards a matter of open governance for the open-source project.
        Looks like I will be declaring Gnome dead soon. Any defender will just be a hypocrite

Comment

Couple of key quotes

For those of you that were with us for the transition of Qt 3 to Qt 4, we do not plan to repeat that difficult transition with Qt 5. To be explicit here ? we believe we can keep source compatibility for the majority of cases, but we believe that breaking binary compatibility is needed.
          That's very good.

Qt will require OpenGL (ES) 2.0 to work.
          That's interesting. KDE has long marketed their solution as superior because it could automatically fall back to a non-composited environment and work fine, unlike Gnome3. Also, Ubuntu was just talking about how their Qt based Unity2D desktop was going to assume no hardware acceleration at all times. I can see how this might piss some people off, although i trust it was done for a good reason (better acceleration for most people).

We should expect that over time all UIs will be written in QML. JavaScript will become a first class citizen within the Qt community and we should expect that a lot of application logic and even entire applications will be written in JavaScript instead of C++. The expectation is that many application developers will actually start out with QML and JavaScript and only implement functionality in C++ when required.
          And this is really interesting. It sounds like they are really moving away from the C++ model of development with Qt5, and on to the new WPF - oops, i mean Qt Quick - development.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
            The article says that Qt5 will be modularized, but it already is. Does it mean it will be more modularized?

Qt4 already has components like QtCore, QtGUI, QtXML, QtNetwork, Phonon, etc.
            It physically has modules for various peripheral functionality, but the toolkit itself is still pretty monolithic. Some people might have a problem with a "Hello world" app pulling in a .so that weighs about 11MB (on x86-64 anyway; probably a little bit smaller on architectures like x86 or ARM that would actually be used in a more memory-constrained application).

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Looks like I will be declaring Gnome dead soon. Any defender will just be a hypocrite
              Gnome doesn't even compete with Qt, so please go ahead and do that. Lots of lulz that way lie.

As for Qt, the QML+Js direction is quite interesting. I just hope they can improve their language bindings (gobject introspection ftw!)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Gnome doesn't even compete with Qt, so please go ahead and do that. Lots of lulz that way lie.
                Gnome was created to compete with KDE for the very reason that Qt was not 100% free software. If Qt was free software by then, Gnome wouldn't even exist.

Comment

Working...
                X