Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i3 2100T + ASUS P8H67-I Dlx + Ubuntu 11.04 = Blank Screen

Hi all,
    trying to get this low-power system to work well!

The Ubuntu Desktop AMD64 installer runs well in graphic mode, but when the installation is finished and system is restarted, the screen is blank.

It is the same if I install Ubuntu Server. Blank screen after restart. Probably because Ubuntu Server is running in a frame buffer, which fails to initialize.

There is no new BIOS available for the mainboard.

This is my first experience with Sandy Bridge on Linux, and I can't install a separate graphics card as this system is installed in an 1U rackmount chassi.

You can install Kanotix, upgrade to latest mainline kernel via script and compile latest oss drivers + mplayer vaapi (and then xbmc if you want) with some optimized scripts (begin with step a). Then you have got the latest drivers and can enjoy 3d (with some glitches, but getting better every week) and accellerated video. In the Kanotix irc chat the bot will tell you how as soon as you enter !39 and !oss-test. when you see interesting changes in the mesa/intel ddx repo just run the scripts again.

Comment

Thank you, I will give Kanotix a try.

But I am still curious on why Ubuntu 11.04 fails so hardly, as they have announced Sandy Bridge support... Accelerated graphics is not important at all in this case.

Comment

@Kano: Kanotix 2011-05 supports full resolution on this chip.
        I wonder why Ubuntu Natty falls back to VESA mode...

Comment

The res is ok due to kms, but you need to update the oss stack to get 3d and you can also get vaapi accelleration. But you know now what distro has best hardware support - look at the gfx on mode for other cards...

Comment

Working...
          X