Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMoko Schedule Revised, For X-Mas

Phoronix: OpenMoko Schedule Revised, For X-Mas

This past week the Phase 2 "Mass Market" schedule for the OpenMoko Neo1973 was revised. OpenMoko now expects the GTA02v3 design to be finalized by September 20 while on December 10 it will begin production in "moderate volumes".

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not sure about others, but I was certainly looking forward to this project. Nothing like the iPhone, but a pure open platform and good looking too. My only complaint... When will it be available where I live?

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
      I'm not sure about others, but I was certainly looking forward to this project. Nothing like the iPhone, but a pure open platform and good looking too. My only complaint... When will it be available where I live?
      Where are you located?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Where are you located?
        Mexico City, Mexico

The iPhone isn't available down here yet (no carrier) and since the OpenMoko phone is a bit slower in its development than the iPhone (for example), I'm not so sure what will it take for it to be released down here... Not to mention that the market seems to be flooded as of late with Windows Mobile "Smart Phones" (don't get me started on Windows Mobile *shudders*)

Comment

Several inaccuracies in the original article.
          I'm the editor of the wiki page that added the timeline.
          It did quite clearly say 'estimated timeline', and referred to a source on IRC, and hoped that the delivery service would emphasise this.

I've added a caveat, though maybe I should have added <blink>more html</blink>

As to will it be available - it ships worldwide, you buy it from direct.openmoko.com.

You will not be able to buy it from shops for some months at best.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedEvil View Post
            As to will it be available - it ships worldwide, you buy it from direct.openmoko.com.
            What about the carrier? What bands will it support, etc? Sorry if I'm asking stuff already in the Wiki (I'll check that out anyway), too excited to know that I CAN buy directly on-line (and I take it, it'll be shipped to my country)

Comment

I'm planning on selling my current HTC 8525 smartphone once this phone gets available. I was able to check this phone out at UbuntuLive and it rocks. I've already warned my wife about the future credit card charge .

And I'm in no rush to have it next month vs. the end of the year... either way it will have more features than damn near any other phone currently available by the simple fact that it runs Linux. It's been a while since I've checked the wiki pages on it though... I'll have to see if there are any updates on available software or features.

Comment

Working...
              X