Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 2011: advice for a video card choice

Hello, world

I'm planning a new linux box and can't make up my mind about a video card / on-board chipset.

I worry more about usability then say game performance. That is I'd like the card to work "out of the box" with easy to get drivers, preferably open source.

I'm planning to use gimp, inkscape, blender and all sorts of odd multimedia software I'd mostly try out once and forget about. I'd like to use this machine for some home video editing too, not sure how relevant is that for the graphics card choice. I'm not playing games. I do watch movies on computer would like the new machine to stay usable for that in the upcoming years. Again, I'm not sure how that affects the video card choice.

Do I even need a dedicated graphics card for this, or would i5 2500K + some H67 motherboard fare just fine? If not, my (arbitrary) bracket for the video card is $300.

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom.

You should use a distro where you can get the absolutely latest oss drivers+kernels for. With that no dedicated gfx cards needed. For Kanotix i have got scripts...

Comment

Thanks.

I wasn't aware of Kanotix, had a glance over the website / distrowatch entry. How much does it differ form debian? Do you change much besides the kernel / drivers / autodetection scripts?

I realize now I might have sounded a bit over conservative in the original post. I don't mind adding a custom package repository ("PPA" in case of ubuntu) to the configuration, as long as in the long run the right drivers are going to end up in the main distro.

I was considering running either Ubuntu or Linux Mint on the new machine. Is i5 2500K + H67 motherboard combination supported on latest versions of those?

Comment

Working...
      X