Client Side Decorations For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
    Maybe I'm getting old but already now I hate it if clients come with their own or no decorations. It's only done for the sake of being 'different' or to dictate/limit usage patterns and we have yet to see a real useful application for it.
    And as a user I don't care if CSD makes for prettier code in the compositor.
    Ok, on a more serious note, this has nothing to do with CSD or SSD. Clients can draw whatever they wish, just like Google Chrome does on Linux right now. CSD will change nothing in this regard.

Comment

Better safe than sorry

I may not know all the ins and outs of the matter at hand (I mean despite carefully reading the whole Wayland CSD thread and understanding the arguments from both sides), but as far as I'm concerned, being unable to enforce proper behavior completely defeats the whole purpose of things like operating/window system (pardon my ignorance, but I'm simply thinking of a window system/compositor as a sort of "operating system for application viewports").

And don't get me started with the old "then just don't install/run it" argument, because how am I supposed to know which crap to avoid until I execute the damn thing and it completely screws up my desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        toooooooooo much drama
        Well we need something to distract us from our jig dancing on Osama effigies.

Plus it is always fun to speculate on a display system that will go nowhere as long as it is unsupported by nVidia and AMD.

Comment

It's easy enough to deal with unresponsive apps. In fact, Kristian's solution is more work than it's worth. Just do what Windows does and create a frame on the fly for unresponsive apps which is owned by the window manager (in this case, Wayland).

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
            It's easy enough to deal with unresponsive apps. In fact, Kristian's solution is more work than it's worth. Just do what Windows does and create a frame on the fly for unresponsive apps which is owned by the window manager (in this case, Wayland).
            Exactly! This is one of the few things that Windows gets right, I think. When an app is unresponsive, it makes a new window containing a faded-out image of the last frame successfully rendered by the app, with default window decorations, and gives you the option of closing it out. Granted, I don't like the way that it "checks for a solution" from Microsoft, but the core design at a compositor level is sound.

If this kind of behavior can be implement while preserving the flexibility of CSD, then go ahead and do it. This is essentially "CSD unless the app does something really dumb, then SSD steps in and saves the user from a kill -9". Perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
              Umm, that has never worked for me, on any version of Windows including 7. The screen may fade to black, but then
              - explorer.exe crashes
              - it hangs
              - it fades back
              - I might get a dialog to close the app

In no case does happen what was described...

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                Well we need something to distract us from our jig dancing on Osama effigies.

Plus it is always fun to speculate on a display system that will go nowhere as long as it is unsupported by nVidia and AMD.
                This discussion has been done again and Kristian -the guy who writes the code thus the only person whose opinion matters- parted with CSD so thats what we will get.

Wayland seems to be gaining some traction so i believe that nvidia and AMD will support it at some point. Time will tell.

Comment

Is it even possible to write a tiling compositor (window manager) with csd?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyser View Post
                    How about allowing the compositor to request the application not to render decorations. Then the author of the compositor can decide, if he/she wants to allow the application to control its window or not.
                    Nah, that'd make too much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyser View Post
                      Is it even possible to write a tiling compositor (window manager) with csd?
                      Yes. Why wouldn't it be?

Comment

Working...
                      X