Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GameTree Linux Is Finally Out There, Sort Of

Phoronix: GameTree Linux Is Finally Out There, Sort Of

At the beginning of January we reported on TransGaming's plans to replace the Cedega software with GameTree Linux, which is a mix of their original Wine-based software to run Windows games under Linux, while sort of combining it with a digital distribution system like Valve's Steam platform. Along with GameTree Linux, TransGaming also announced GameTree TV, to bring such games to television sets as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't like the path Transgaming is going down one bit. Thus I will never use their software. They are promoting developers to just run Windows games under their software. Linux really needs to have native games for it, to improve in graphics and market share.
    Don't get me wrong I am all for Wine but having Transgaming pushing this in developers faces sends a different message to what the community wants to convey.

Comment

I agree. Wine is amazing for legacy software, and ensures that some crucial applications will continue working in the future. Even longer than on Windows, in some cases. For new software though, it's gotta be native.

Now if only we had a nice digital distribution service for proprietary games...

Comment

Definitely. A nice "popular" distribution service, who can also develop world class games.... lol

Comment

Working...
        X