Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 6 Should Sort Out Linux GPU Acceleration

Phoronix: Firefox 6 Should Sort Out Linux GPU Acceleration

Mozilla Firefox 4.0 was released in March with many new features, including GPU-based acceleration, but on the Linux side this support was disabled. The Mozilla developers found the Linux GPU driver support to be a problem, even with the open-source solutions. It looks like though by Firefox 6 the Linux GPU acceleration will be in better standing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wheeeeee, and Firefox 27 is gonna be awesome. My great-great-grandchildren are gonna have so much fun with it.

Comment

Michael, how about a news post on the CPU side as well? Posted on slashdot not so long ago, Firefox 6 is the first stable linux ff to finally build with PGO.

Comment

Firefox 6 should be out before the next Ubuntu release.

Comment

Source: http://glandium.org/blog/?p=1975

Comment

why is firefox 4 being dismissed so early? how many drastic changes will there be to create an entire new version? firefoxes 2 and 3 lasted for a very very long time, but i'm getting the impression that version 4 and 5 will be maintained for less than a year.

i don't think most devleopers understand how version numbering works, its really irritating. off the top of my head, virtualbox is the same way. there was no reason at all to go from 3.2 to 4.0.

Comment

I hope they can restrain themselves from using GPU acceleration for stupid GUI effects, and really limit it to content. Otherwise you'll always have the GPU with its miserable power management (compared to a modern CPU) in high gear during ordinary browsing.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                i don't think most devleopers understand how version numbering works, its really irritating.
                Version numbers don't "work" in and of themselves. They are defined by the actual use they are put to by developers. In some areas, the usage and thus meaning of version numbers has started to change for a while now. There are multiple reasons for that, the most important one being new development cycles, partly made possible by new version control systems such as GIT. There is nothing irritating about it other than that things change. But that's culture.

Comment

Didn't the firefox devs said that linux hw acceleration was already provided by xrender?
                  I'm a bit confused now.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    why is firefox 4 being dismissed so early? how many drastic changes will there be to create an entire new version? firefoxes 2 and 3 lasted for a very very long time, but i'm getting the impression that version 4 and 5 will be maintained for less than a year.

i don't think most devleopers understand how version numbering works, its really irritating. off the top of my head, virtualbox is the same way. there was no reason at all to go from 3.2 to 4.0.
                    Mozilla is moving to a shorter release cycle after version 4. This is because Firefox has been losing market share to Chrome, which has very short release cycles. Also, most of version 4 was ready months ahead of the official release, but bugs in some of the features meant they couldn't release it, and 3.6 had to stick around longer than they would have liked.

The idea is to modularize new features and have fewer of them per version, so they can bring out new features more quickly and avoid repeating the version 4 delays.

Comment

Working...
                    X