Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Silverlight For Linux

Phoronix: Microsoft Silverlight For Linux

If X.Org drivers aren't your thing today, you may be pleased to know that there is looking to be a good implementation of Microsoft's Silverlight for Linux. Silverlight 1.0 was released today, but it was also announced that Microsoft has partnered with Novell to deliver Moonlight, which will be a Silverlight-compatible run-time implementation for Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any idea if there will be a 64bit release for linux?

Comment

Originally posted by gregf View Post
      Any idea if there will be a 64bit release for linux?
      Everything except the codecs should be open source. I guess there's three possible situations. 32bit only due to 64bit problems with Mono (if there are any), 64bit minus the video codecs from MS, or fully 64bit if MS deliver them.
      If you check out the pages at Microsoft.com for VC-1 (the main silverlight codec) licencing for embedded systems developers, you'll notice it states it's written in ANSI C, and should compile on any platform.

Comment

Do we really need yet-another-pluing for mutlimedia on the web? I mean, Flash is bad enough as it is (some call it evil, dunno why, I personally don't like it much, but wouldn't go as far as to call it evil), as it has "plagued" the web, however they've got it "universally" supported (for whatever the heck that means, there are other open platforms that have been left out) and as such it is "a good thing". I have mixed feelings about a competing backend, and more mixed feelings about it being Microsoft the one providing it... Just my opinion, that's all.

Comment

Working...
        X