Huge performance problem with r300 and KWin on openSUSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge performance problem with r300 and KWin on openSUSE

I've installed openSUSE 11.4 on an older machine. It's an Intel P4 2.6GHz CPU with 1.5GB of RAM. Graphics card is a Radeon 9450.

KDE ran like crap. I decided to update everything to their latest versions, so I added the Tumbleweed repo as well as the X.Org repo:

I replaced all packages from those in XOrg. This gave me the Gallium3D version of the radeon driver (r300g).

But... KWin still runs like total crap :-P For example, moving a window with the mouse looks like driving a boat. When you move the mouse, the window needs about 1 or 2 seconds to follow the mouse. It's totally unusable.

Anything I can do?

Your drivers are not accelerated.

Give the output of:

glxinfo | grep ender
    dmesg | grep drm
    Xorg.0.log

I assume that the kernel should be recent enough for r300g.

Comment

@RealNC

Best install Kanotix Hellfire 32 bit, then check

Do a dist-upgrade/reboot before you try. My scripts will compile the absolutely latest snapshots, with llvm enabled for native libs (not for 32 bit libs in a 64 bit host). Kanotix should be really fast with your system for websurfing or video in sd quality. There are no indexing options active which slow down the system.

Comment

I'm currently not in front of the machine, so I can't run glxinfo right now. Here's Xorg.0.log:

And this is dmesg | grep drm:

One thing I didn't mention, is that the machine was running 11.3. So 11.4 was not a fresh install, but an update on top of 11.3. And 11.3 was installed the same way a few months back, on top of 11.2.

Comment

@Kano
          Thanks, but this is a Univesity machine and I don't want to run experimental stuff on it. It needs to be rock solid, running for weeks without reboot.

Comment

That should not be a problem.

Comment

No wait, that script doesn't work with openSUSE in the first place :P What you meant was I should replace openSUSE on that machine. Sadly, that is not possible. It has to run openSUSE, period. I would have installed Arch Linux lang ago otherwise

Comment

Breaking news. Kano recommends Kanotix

Comment

AGP really might be the problem, I remember hearing about issues with these cards.

You could try disabling KMS and using the classic r300c driver in UMS mode, this might work better.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    this systems runs like shit because the AGPx8 do not work correctly.

you get the best result if you upgrade to an AGP hd2000-hd4000 and install the catalyst.
                    LOL. See? Problem solved!

Next question!

Comment

Working...
                    X