Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.39-rc6 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.39-rc6 Kernel Released

Linus Torvalds has pushed out his weekly Linux kernel -rc leading up to the Linux 2.6.39 kernel release later in the month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I dont think Linus or kernel devs care about mobile power issue! i wont be surprised if a fix will never come! If something goes wrong linux gurus will always say fix it urself if u dont like it. Yet no answer from him on this serious regression! If ignorance is bliss it should be called Linux instead! sometimes are very similar

Comment

Originally posted by adriankx View Post
      I dont think Linus or kernel devs care about mobile power issue! i wont be surprised if a fix will never come! If something goes wrong linux gurus will always say fix it urself if u dont like it. Yet no answer from him on this serious regression!
      I don't think Linus reads phoronix. But wasn't phoronix supposed to produce a commit id that caused this "Major Power Regression"? It has been awful quiet on this front...

Anyway I've not seen any power regression myself, and I've seen some responses from other people who've not seen it either. That's not to say that there isn't any regression on that front but if there is I doubt it's as widespread and dramatic as the series of phoronix articles suggested.

But I guess this dramatic and sensationalist style of reporting brings in more page views and thus ad dollars. Probably something you want to keep in mind when reading anything here.

Comment

Of course we will never see any lkml mail or git commit that refers to phoronix. But I wouldn't be surprised if some kernel dude would look into it (possibly with a few more details from Micheal; hopefully coming at some point). The fix would then end up as some random inconspicuous commit.

Comment

It sounded as if Michael was on the verge of pinpointing the exact commit(s) causing the power regression, but that was quite a while ago and as you said it's been awfully quiet on that front. I haven't noticed any power regression either (currently running 26.38.5-1). I would certainly be a bit silly if this was mostly hot air after all that drama. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by adriankx View Post
            I dont think Linus or kernel devs care about mobile power issue! i wont be surprised if a fix will never come! If something goes wrong linux gurus will always say fix it urself if u dont like it. Yet no answer from him on this serious regression! If ignorance is bliss it should be called Linux instead! sometimes are very similar
            Bullshit. Did you post a message at lkml? I guess you didn't. If you have no idea about Linux devs then just shut up. They care even about much less important stuff - BFS vs CFS and fix CFS to meet user requirements.

Comment

Working...
            X