No announcement yet.

AMD: Accelerating Open-Source Drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It feels like the whole state of ATI drivers on linux has just back flipped completely in less then 24 hours - this is awesome news for the AVIVO driver. Too bad it will pretty much obsolete Revenge.

Comment

Originally posted by hmmm View Post
      It feels like the whole state of ATI drivers on linux has just back flipped completely in less then 24 hours - this is awesome news for the AVIVO driver. Too bad it will pretty much obsolete Revenge.
      Not the Avivo driver, but the new yet to be named Linux driver...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Why introduce a new driver and not integrate into current one? Would ease up hw detection - just everything from ATI vendor pciid to ati driver. Currently you need a list with all supported old cards for ati and you use the rest for vesa. When you want to write a list for new driver then good luck... It is enough to update my own pci id list from fglrx driver.

Comment

The article will be published at noon EST tomorrow.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Waht about specifications for R300 and R400? There are open source drivers, but they also need more development(slow, not everything works). Will there be any progress for those, too?

Comment

If you read the press release for the Kernel Summit, they pretty much stated that they want to support Open Source drivers for across the board ATI products, so most likely, yes, that includes R300/400 products too

Comment

What stop with R300/R400?

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                so most likely, yes, that includes R300/400 products too
                And what about R100/R200 based products? I assure you that these cards are still out there, and are in active use...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                  And what about R100/R200 based products? I assure you that these cards are still out there, and are in active use...
                  MAYBE they'll merge the current code for R100/200 and the new once they figure out if the new code can drive these cards or if they need some other means to unify them under the same code base, but I'm not sure it'll be a high priority in the devs TODOs, most likely not.

Comment

Working...
                  X