Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 173

Thread: The New Driver Is Out! Meet Oktoberfest!

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I don't use KDE so I can't comment for that, but I haven't had any such problems like that with Nautilus and fglrx 8.41.

    Nautilus is not affected with this "feature"...I hope there are improvements on this, because I don't want switch DE because of f***** display driver

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Up North, Where 10 degrees is shorts weather
    Posts
    80

    Default Gentoo Ebuild update request for 8.41

    Michael -- I've opened 191374 on bugs.gentoo.org -
    http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=191374


    As soon as I get a copy of the new driver I'll do what I can to get an updated ebuild working with this driver.....
    For what its worth I'm on vacation this week .. and some s.o.b stole our van overnight -- so I'm kinda grounded for the next day or so....
    Last edited by Alistair; 09-05-2007 at 09:52 AM.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    Rocks, doesn't it?

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    As an owner of a laptop with a FireGL V5250, I really have no choice but to try the 8.41 driver because the 8.40 driver fails when trying to play anything more demanding than "Quake 2". Anyway, I thought that the V5250 was based on the R530. What gives?
    Considering that all the laptop chips were more poorly supported under the old fglrx (Poor/No Hypermemory support, etc.) it's not surprising, really.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    .ro/.ca
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by opera View Post
    Tell that to everyone else in this thread then? I'm not the only one commenting without actually having the driver. Or perhaps you just thought I was too negative, and thereby I needed to be shut up?
    I dunno.
    You were predicting doom with no knowledge of the driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by opera
    We all speak out of experience with the so far drivers. Many of us see a pattern of not caring about really fixing the sucky drivers,
    Since the new driver has a new (and different) codebase, you can't use the old drivers for your predictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by opera
    but just fixing a bug a month, and this time, making the driver get a better score on FPS benchmarks.
    According to Michael, this new driver has been in the works for a very long time, not just the 1-month development time allocated to previous drivers.
    Also, since the old driver is likely going to be trashed, there was little reason for the dev/financial team to support a soon-to-be-obsolete driver, hence the lack of any real improvement

    Quote Originally Posted by opera
    * No RandR 1.2, because ATI has invented their own proprietary tool before RandR 1.2 was invented, and because of that (very interesting reason) they won't use RandR 1.2 even though it's superior.
    Any definitive evidence of randr superiority? Anyway, if the new driver will be open-sourced, you can just hack randr support into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by opera
    But ATI surely doesn't understand open source development. Release a 50 mb .tar.bz2 and say "we're now open source" is lunacy.
    When did that happen?!
    Quote Originally Posted by opera
    Again, I'm speaking ahead of time, but it doesn't take many brain cells to figure out what's going on here. I'm not saying I'm guaranteeing the new ATI driver to suck, I'm just saying it most likely will.
    Again, you can't use the old crappy-driver pattern for the new one.

    1 week from now, if the new driver is as bad as you say, we'll all hail you as the new Nostradamus predictor@home. Until then stfu, you have no real basis for your predictions.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,673

    Default

    Interesting new driver (would like to test it), but compared to NVIDIA I would like if there is something like

    Modes "nvidia-auto-select"

    To autoselect the highest possible res automatically. Also NV drivers override the H/V sync values until you deactivate that by special options. Is there something like that in there too?

    Also for using beryl (and I expect compiz-fusion) too, there is no real need for AIGLX as minimum requirement, but Composite has to work. Is that working? Composite is also used for KDE transparency which showed corruptions on older releases.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    .ro/.ca
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Interesting new driver (would like to test it), but compared to NVIDIA I would like if there is something like

    Modes "nvidia-auto-select"

    To autoselect the highest possible res automatically.
    That's already in, and has been implemented for a long time.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,673

    Default

    Ok, then how to use it?

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    .ro/.ca
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Ok, then how to use it?
    Just don't specify a resolution in your xorg.conf maybe? I never did, but X always runs at my monitor's native resolution & refresh rate.

    Then again, maybe I'm an unique case seeing as I also get some rare bugs..

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mile View Post
    ???

    If you use kde, open Konqueror/dolphin filemanager and open folder with large numner of files. It takes more than one second to draw content. This is not happening with avivo driver or Nvidia card in my other comp....

    I dont know, if I missed something or this is "normal desktop performance" for you...
    I have this same problem with my V5200 on my laptop. Yes, strangely, it may be a KDE issue since my desktop running GNOME on a X1800 doesn't have this problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •