Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview

Phoronix: AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview

While many thought this day would never come or that it was some form of propaganda, it's coming and it's coming this month. The AMD fglrx 8.41 driver features a brand new underlying code-base that has been under development for well over a year. At Phoronix we have literally spent hundreds of hours using and testing this new driver, and to say the least it is truly a new experience on the ATI Linux front. The new driver delivers massive performance improvements, Radeon HD 2000 (R600) support, and a whole lot more. This article is the first of five articles that will be published today at Phoronix as we examine the new AMD Linux driver extensively on all fronts from seeing how it can handle the flagship ATI Radeon HD 2900XT graphics card to going back to past graphics card families to show the dramatic performance improvements.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hereby declare this the "Too late, I bought an Nvidia card this week" version.

Comment

you should add "shame on me then" to the version name in that case

Comment

Thank you AMD

Congratulations to AMD. They delivered!

Even though announced, this was an unexpected pleasant surprise.

I think the name 'Holy cow!' is appropriate here

Comment

Originally posted by ioannis View Post
          Congratulations to AMD. They delivered!
          What? No. They haven't delivered yet in the least.
          First of all, they haven't actually RELEASED ANYTHING yet. And even then, there will be no AIGLX in the upcoming driver.

*EVEN* if they finally get around to add AIGLX to 8.42, it's too little, too late. That should have been available 2 years ago.

The ridiculous driver development model doesn't help, either. Three months to release stuff that compiles with the latest stable kernel? Drivers take bring down X when an external monitor is disconnected? Drivers that bring down the entine machine if trying to start X with primary display on external connector? I'll bet they haven't fixed the graphics corruption issues either.

Sorry ATI, but nvidia and intel are still kings of the Linux desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by uhoh View Post
            What? No. They haven't delivered yet in the least.
            First of all, they haven't actually RELEASED ANYTHING yet. And even then, there will be no AIGLX in the upcoming driver.

*EVEN* if they finally get around to add AIGLX to 8.42, it's too little, too late. That should have been available 2 years ago.

The ridiculous driver development model doesn't help, either. Three months to release stuff that compiles with the latest stable kernel? Drivers take bring down X when an external monitor is disconnected? Drivers that bring down the entine machine if trying to start X with primary display on external connector? I'll bet they haven't fixed the graphics corruption issues either.

Sorry ATI, but nvidia and intel are still kings of the Linux desktop.
            What's wrong with you people?! Judging the new driver before it's even available...
            There have been promises, and so far they've been fulfilled (ex. better performance).
            Just wait 1 damn week and then judge all you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
              What's wrong with you people?! Judging the new driver before it's even available...
              There have been promises, and so far they've been fulfilled (ex. better performance).
              Just wait 1 damn week and then judge all you want.
              Who cares about performance when the driver DOESN'T WORK? Wow, I get to crash X even faster!

After hearing "just wait" for two years I really don't think they deserve to get the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Who cares about performance when the driver DOESN'T WORK? Wow, I get to crash X even faster!

After hearing "just wait" for two years I really don't think they deserve to get the benefit of the doubt.
                So far, you've only had promises.

Now you now for sure that something new (if nothing else) is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
                  So far, you've only had promises.

Now you now for sure that something new (if nothing else) is coming.
                  That remains to be seen. They still haven't delivered, as that other guy so cheerfully proclaimed.

PS: If this driver is such a big deal, why didn't they set the version number to 9.0 ?

Comment

That remains to be seen. They still haven't delivered, as that other guy so cheerfully proclaimed.

PS: If this driver is such a big deal, why didn't they set the version number to 9.0 ?

Comment

Working...
                    X