AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What? The only reason given in that thread is
    "The 9.* will happen when there's a complete rewrite of the Windows/all driver, too.".

The only reasonable conclusion, then, is that ATI is lying, with the claims that 8.41 "features a brand-new underlying codebase that has been in development for over a year"?

Comment

Originally posted by uhoh View Post
      "The 9.* will happen when there's a complete rewrite of the Windows/all driver, too.".

The only reasonable conclusion, then, is that ATI is lying, with the claims that 8.41 "features a brand-new underlying codebase that has been in development for over a year"?
      That was only the suggestion of a user, not an official stand point.

The driver hasn't even been released, maybe it'll be 9.0 or whatever. Besides, why judge a driver by its name/version?!

Comment

calm down, will you?

The Phoronix guys were kind enough to offer as a good review of the driver, in terms of performance gains. And there are more related articles coming soon. Since this is not the 1st of April, there is no reason not to believe those figures. The new driver, which will be released to the public shortly, is significantly faster and does come with R600 support.

Considering ATI's LINUX support until now, it's ok I guess to be a bit sceptical, but you are overreacting.

As the old saying goes, 'better late than never'

Comment

Originally posted by ioannis View Post
          calm down, will you?

The Phoronix guys were kind enough to offer as a good review of the driver, in terms of performance gains. And there are more related articles coming soon. Since this is not the 1st of April, there is no reason not to believe those figures. The new driver, which will be released to the public shortly, is significantly faster and does come with R600 support.

Considering ATI's LINUX support until now, it's ok I guess to be a bit sceptical, but you are overreacting.

As the old saying goes, 'better late than never'
          I'll believe you when I'm running compiz on my laptop AND there are no garbage graphics in the corners AND the mouse cursor stays straight. That will be the day when I can wow my co-workers with "Look! I'm doing what you guys did 2 years ago!"

Comment

8.42 "The Soaring Suidae/Swine"
            Last edited by rob2687; 05 September 2007, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I'll believe you when I'm running compiz on my laptop AND there are no garbage graphics in the corners AND the mouse cursor stays straight. That will be the day when I can wow my co-workers with "Look! I'm doing what you guys did 2 years ago!"
              There was no aiglx, compiz or even xgl back then. Are your co-workers time travelers?
              And what's this then, an ego hunt?

Maybe you can take some comfort knowing that after tonight, your co-workers will envy your for your ati card. And when than happens, will you eat your words or continue to bitch about it?

Comment

Its better now than never, I'd appreciate it that its happening at all.

Comment

It's closer to about a year and a half ago. The first release of Compiz was pretty basic compared to now.
                  Last edited by rob2687; 05 September 2007, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
                    There was no aiglx, compiz or even xgl back then. Are your co-workers time travelers?
                    And what's this then, an ego hunt?

Maybe you can take some comfort knowing that after tonight, your co-workers will envy your for your ati card. And when than happens, will you eat your words or continue to bitch about it?
                    OK, maybe it was 1.5 years ago. Whatever. It's not even about compiz.

All I want is a graphics card that is able to display a regular desktop without garbling the corners or the mouse cursor, and one that doesn't crash and burn when you switch consoles, unplug the external monitor, or start up with the external screen as the primary display. Is that too much to ask? Bonus points if the drivers are compatible with this year's release of X.org and Linux kernel.

If 8.41 delivers all this then I will shut up and be happy. Until then, the facts are that living with an ATI based laptop has lost me dozens of hours fiddling with old X.org releases, unofficial kernel module patches, and lost work due to X crashing.

Comment

OK, maybe it was 1.5 years ago. Whatever. It's not even about compiz.

All I want is a graphics card that is able to display a regular desktop without garbling the corners or the mouse cursor, and one that doesn't crash and burn when you switch consoles, unplug the external monitor, or start up with the external screen as the primary display. Is that too much to ask? Bonus points if the drivers are compatible with this year's release of X.org and Linux kernel.

If 8.41 delivers all this then I will shut up and be happy. Until then, the facts are that living with an ATI based laptop has lost me dozens of hours fiddling with old X.org releases, unofficial kernel module patches, and lost work due to X crashing.
                      Ok fine, you had your share of problems with ati. No one is denying that they exist, but it's really pointless (not to mention annoying as hell) to bitch about it on the verge of revolution.

Revolution comes, if it's still bad then bitch all you want. Or better yet, switch to nvidia/intel.

Comment

Working...
                      X