NVIDIA slowly killing OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA slowly killing OpenGL

Just a quick link (linking to more sources) about just how badly supported OpenGL is, even by the "driver golden boy" NVIDIA:

OpenGL is going nowhere fast. There are now entire super-popular lines of hardware that can't support OpenGL properly (as in, a driver fix can't/won't be released for it). And this is an issue that affects the "content industry" just as much as it affects games.

Can we have Direct3D on Linux yet?

I'd prefer documented, OpenGL-compatible hardware instead of a closed solution where a company is trying to kill an open standard and force you to use a Microsoft one instead.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      Just a quick link (linking to more sources) about just how badly supported OpenGL is, even by the "driver golden boy" NVIDIA:

OpenGL is going nowhere fast. There are now entire super-popular lines of hardware that can't support OpenGL properly (as in, a driver fix can't/won't be released for it). And this is an issue that affects the "content industry" just as much as it affects games.

Thanks for the post. I was researching actually about getting Sandy Bridge Xeon or Sandy 2400 with Nvidia 4xx series recently. Well, if nvidia starts to ignore its known as rock-solid, opengl driver, means they barely work with or optimize the existing code for newer hardware.

Damn microcrap.

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      Who do you think was the original source for now unrolling OpenGL problems? Microcrap and Directsux.

Only dead fish swims along the river, alive fish swims to the source.

More Nvidia does such actions, more negative carma will it get.
      This has no relation to opengl.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        I'd prefer documented, OpenGL-compatible hardware instead of a closed solution where a company is trying to kill an open standard and force you to use a Microsoft one instead.
        What hardware do you refer to? 3Dfx Voodoo?

Comment

By the way, does issue still exist on 5xx?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            What hardware do you refer to? 3Dfx Voodoo?
            Most hardware is OpenGL-compatible, and some of it is properly documented too.

This doesn't mean that the drivers are brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              Most hardware is OpenGL-compatible, and some of it is properly documented too.

This doesn't mean that the drivers are brilliant.
              Well, on AMD you have proprietary firmware and closed-source (means you cannot use them, but still pay) things like UVD. If you use closed source driver(means wave opensource goodbye) you get more bugs, less features and less hardware/software support window than nvidia.
              If you get nvidia, you get worser opensource driver (compare for yourself which is better - unsupported or supportively ignored). Closed source driver rocked the box in days I used it though(except closed source fact, which is crap), now nvidia sabotage it.

I read, they did it, because they widely accept gaming and consumer is directx + windows only(path, which AMD has been following all the way, btw), so they castrated opengl driver on non-fermi.

Because the driver is multiplatform, linux got affected too, - where is no directx at all. So it castrated nvidia on linux desktops.

I wonder why didn't they remove the whole linux line then, I mean directx only driver for geforce and multiplatform driver for quattro only.

Hehe, this company needs to die. I'm speechless. What should I pick?

The evilly bad(nvidia), the weakly good(intel) or the messed-up ugly(amd)?

Comment

By the way, does issue still exist on 5xx?
                Don't worry man, its still purposely messed up.

Comment

Don't worry man, its still purposely messed up.
                  What a relief! For a second there, I thought I might have to alter my belief system.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    What a relief! For a second there, I thought I might have to alter my belief system.
                    Yes, but still Phoronix test seemed to perform very good, ie 260 was clearly faster than 9800gt on all tests.

I have checked if I should be getting 275 gtx, but the "bug" seem to affect only maya/3dmax etc, ie apps that use specific opengl operation, it does not affect any 3D games so far.

It seems nvidia is not trying to kill opengl in anyway. They only found operation that is used on workstation opengl software and they have crippled it in the driver on purpose. The only and only logical reason is that they want you to purchase quadro card, where its possibly not crippled.

Indeed something like this really shows nvidia is garbage. But there is not much choice. Had amd really improved proprietary, or had they really cared about open source(so their paid foss developers do not claim bullsht like you get what you pay), they would be an option. Heh, not much to choose from hence nvidia behave like dcks in own pool.

Comment

Working...
                    X