Mono Developers Go Bye-Bye From Attachmate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Sorry to burst your little bubble, BSD is an FSF-approved license. It's not just free, it's blessed by his holiness himself.
    Great, you have missed entire point. BSD license sucks and you should know it. It doesn't matter if it's blessed by RMS or not. It simply sucks. You're funny attitude won't help here.

Freedom to study, modify and redistribute all software, that's what the FSF strives for. Unfortunately, it's obvious that you don't share that goal.
    Those are only few goals. You didn't mention the most important one - independence (which you and Novell folks don't care about).

Comment

• Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
      The trolls just keep streaming in.
      I'm continually amazed by how some people really hate Microsoft. What about Apple, or Oracle?

Comment

• Last time I used C# and .Net is a lifetime ago. Don't think I used it beyond version 1 but I loved it, C#, .Net and Visual Studio. It is a great thing for Windows.

Buggy programs that could take the whole OS down, computer programmers which were nothing but self taught VB coders, messy GUI libraries, expensive and fractured development environments: C#, .Net and Visual Studio made things a lot better on Windows.

Can this be used to improve things for Linux? Sure! But not by copying it wholesale.

C# is nice, also for non-Windows coders. But outside Windowsland there was no need to replace VB. Not much need for the CLR either, if necessary you could pile things atop a JVM but languages interoperate already via scripting and there's your managed code too. I wouldn't object to a C# frontend for GCC or C#-bindings for the common C and C++ libraries similar to Python or so but that's quite different from Mono.

The rest of .Net? You're kidding right? The interesting bits are only found on Windows and can't be ported to another environment at all. Long story short: there's fuck-all reason for Mono.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caesar Tjalbo View Post
          Can this be used to improve things for Linux? Sure! But not by copying it wholesale.
          Agreed.

The rest of .Net? You're kidding right? The interesting bits are only found on Windows and can't be ported to another environment at all. Long story short: there's fuck-all reason for Mono.
          Let me give you one: screaming fast scripting engine for games and applications. It's faster than Python, has better tooling than Lua/Angelscript and requires absolutely no patent-encumbered or windows-specific technology.

Not only that but the runtime is supported on all interesting platforms (linux/mac/win/xbox/ps3/wii/android/iphone) and is ridiculously easy to embed (unlike .Net which is platform-specific and a bitch to embed).

Comment

• Moonlight (Silverlight) != Mono

So.. for those that keep posting their ignorance.. you now KNOW.. so please stop.. ok??

Mono BRINGS DIE HARD Microsoft users to Linux... and guess what happens once they are there? Believe it or not.. they fall in love with FOSS. So... hate Mono.. then hate new Linux users... clear?

Do I like Mono licensing and promises and such? No... but that doesn't mean that bringing Microsoft programmers into Linux is a bad thing. How could that be bad? Shoot, I bet that more than half of the ignorant naysayers on this list use Windows... and in some cases, use Windows as their primary OS... or at least with a major dependence.

Btw... my desktop has been Linux since about 1994... no Windows. With that said, I do work with Windows... integrating the two... which... again, for the naysayers... that's a GOOD thing.. and NOT a bad thing.

So for all that run/use evil things... be that Microsoft, Apple, Android, etc... be careful about finding fault in others when you're guilty of doing the same things... ok? Do you play DVDs on Linux? Then you're evil too btw. Do you use flash in your web browser? Then you're evil too btw. And the list goes on and on. Sure, I have met some true "purists".. but they are VERY rare. And the BEST way to create a "cleaner" and "purer" world is by growing the market of pure FOSS. But.. even so, there are still too many holes in the FOSS market that prevent a complete FOSS revolution. You can blame patents and such for most of that...

Comment

• I'll take C# and the base CLR.

Leave out the patented bullcrap.

Comment

• LATE COMMENT: Why not bring the base CLR to Linux?

Comment

• Originally posted by cjcox View Post
                  Moonlight (Silverlight) != Mono

So.. for those that keep posting their ignorance.. you now KNOW.. so please stop.. ok??

Mono BRINGS DIE HARD Microsoft users to Linux... and guess what happens once they are there? Believe it or not.. they fall in love with FOSS. So... hate Mono.. then hate new Linux users... clear?
                  What a bull. Mono has nothing to do with the new Linux users. It's total bullshit it brings die hard ms users to Linux.

Do I like Mono licensing and promises and such? No... but that doesn't mean that bringing Microsoft programmers into Linux is a bad thing. How could that be bad?
                  Simply, you support ms tech.

Shoot, I bet that more than half of the ignorant naysayers on this list use Windows... and in some cases, use Windows as their primary OS... or at least with a major dependence.
                  Not only some of us are forced to use Windows, but some fanboys want us to use its tech on Linux. Great.

Btw... my desktop has been Linux since about 1994... no Windows. With that said, I do work with Windows... integrating the two... which... again, for the naysayers... that's a GOOD thing.. and NOT a bad thing.
                  A bull, bull, bull. Integrate Linux and Windows under Qt. Or simply ignore Windows and focus only on Linux.

So for all that run/use evil things... be that Microsoft, Apple, Android, etc...
                  As far as I know Android does mainly good things for Linux, it even uses the Linux kernel, so why should I hate it? There are 'even' Android sources available.

be careful about finding fault in others when you're guilty of doing the same things... ok? Do you play DVDs on Linux? Then you're evil too btw. Do you use flash in your web browser? Then you're evil too btw.
                  A bull. Flash doesn't come from the worst competitor and flash doesn't compete with any Linux friendly toolkit or language. Flash is a final product not something you're basing on when writing applications. When Adobe will kill flash or do it incompatible with Linux etc. you can simply switch to gnash or something, but you won't loose ground under your feet. I recommend not writing such bull when someone has no idea what all of this is about.

Comment

• Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                    LATE COMMENT: Why not bring the base CLR to Linux?
                    It's already there. You don't need to use any non-ECMA namespaces - unless you choose to.

Originally posted by kraftman
                    A bull. Flash doesn't come from the worst competitor and flash doesn't compete with any Linux friendly toolkit or language.
                    Hypocrite.

Flash competes with HTML5, Canvas, SVG and ECMAscript.

Flash is a final product not something you're basing on when writing applications.
                    Misguided hypocrite.

Now get rid of your patented MP3s, DVDs and all MPEG and H264 files.

Comment

• What is bad to support MS tech if this tech is open source and standard ?
                      Ms is a company again. As others it is here to make money.

Who is true enemy of open source ?

Android do mainly good thing to linux ? You sure? Google just use open source project to make money.
                      Most technologies behind the seach engine is based on open source.
                      Android is open source but does it get any % of market sell to Open source organisation no...
                      There are GSOC and that s all ... but not as much dev as red hat or any other oo company... They just love open source because it is free and compatible with their business plan. If an open source search engine take a big part of market, they will change their behaviour...
                      So the word is not black or white... it is grey.
                      MS is not the evil and google is not angel. All companies just make money.

Linux is an open source copy of unix tech
                      all OS with windows are mostly copy from Mac.
                      So everybody copy idea of others and try to improove it.
                      Even mouse come from xerox.
                      So there is always a company which want to make money behind.
                      Company does not matter because project is open source.

What happend if MS buy Red Hat, novell or ibm which are main contributor to linux kernel... Nothing because it is open source. So it is the same for mono...

Comment

Working...
                      X