Mono Developers Go Bye-Bye From Attachmate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ciplogic

Obviously V!NCENT wasn't being serious, he is just trying to flirt with BlackStar again. That's what he does.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      @ciplogic

Obviously V!NCENT wasn't being serious, he is just trying to flirt with BlackStar again. That's what he does.
      It's a courting ritual, yeah. For some reason I tend to cause that reaction in people. :P In fact, there was a pigeon that kept staring at me for 4 hours at work yesterday, turning its head and winking whenever I looked at it directly. I wish I was kidding.

@V!NCENT: You are wrong. KDevelop sucks - QtCreator blows it out of the water!

Comment

• If Mono didn't strive to be compatible with the proprietary .NET, then why did Novell implement the patented namespaces?

Comment

• Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
          If Mono didn't strive to be compatible with the proprietary .NET, then why did Novell implement the patented namespaces?
          Besides, the front page of the Mono website says:

Sponsored by Novell, Mono is an open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET Framework based on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Runtime.
          ".NET Framework" and "Common Language Runtime" aren't generic standards-based terms, they're the names of Microsoft software.

Comment

• Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
            If Mono didn't strive to be compatible with the proprietary .NET, then why did Novell implement the patented namespaces?
            Because they are useful, duh.

Why do ffmpeg and x264 implement patented algorithms?

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              It seems you're the one of hypocrites here who don't know what other people are talking about. Did I say I prefer flash over HTML5, Canvas, SVG? Just think before you write another dumb response. Oh, are you saying all the things you mentioned are toolkits or languages?
              Where did I say you prefer flash?

You said flash did not compete with free software. I showed that it does.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                @ciplogic

Obviously he lost the Gnome battle, no he's found new turf to troll. You just don't realise his game, so I felt like breaking it down ^^,

Comment

• Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                  The trolls just keep streaming in.
                  As do the posts lacking any sort of content..
                  Oh look, here's another one!

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    Obviously he lost the Gnome battle, no he's found new turf to troll. You just don't realise his game, so I felt like breaking it down ^^,
                    Ha, now that Gnome 3 is out, KDE's days are numbered. Gnome 3 + Unity + Mono = teh shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
                      You were talking about compatibility? So why your phrase can be interpreted in that many ways?
                      I just have it on my mind and thought it's obvious mono isn't 100% compatible with .Net.

Is Qt better than MFC? Qt is not a MFC replacement, a Gtk one, a Windows.Forms one or a Swing one... Qt is crap...
                      Is that similar with your comment.
                      Mono strides to not be compatible with .Net but with ECMA specs. Mono is as .Net (ECMA compatible) as Linux is Unix, yet both are POSIX compatible.
                      Last time some mono fanboys were saying mono is a .Net for Linux, so this is what I was basing on. If it's not that way it doesn't matter overall. It puts it into probably even worse situation, because it won't be so 'attractive' for Windows .Net programmers.

About Webkit was a more realistic down to earth thing as people that use it like Chrome cannot get back to use KHtms over the night, as Qt, to not say a line about KdeLibs are not working with Android, are just a custom port for Windows which will blow download budget of Google Chrome out of the water, Gnome's help is based on WebKit too, so they cannot replace it with KHtml. I'm puzzled how you did not find this as being more dangerous for your future.
                      Qt is working on Android. Maybe you're right Android and Chrome cannot get back to use khtml over night, but something like this is much easier to do than migration from mono to something else - you have to rewrite entire application. There's also a significant difference between mono and webkit. Webkit serves to display html content and not to build your entire applications in some webkit language.

I am curious how you can backup your statement that Mono intends to be a .Net compatible clone, when in fact have its own development.
                      http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

Run .Net applications on Linux etc. It was obvious to me it has to be compatible with .Net.

In the rest, which is your application you contributed on, in the last 10 years? May you give just a bug report, or a translation from English to Spanish or some icons that you contribute to any OSS project? I never contributed to Mono but I did contribute to FreePascal/Lazarus, I put bug reports in MonoDevelop, Ubuntu, and I work as full time developer in an F/OSS project in real life.
                      I mainly report and try to fix bugs. I was doing this mainly for Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Arch, KDE and one time to Linux kernel. I thought about helping Kubuntu in translations, but it seems it's incredibly messed up, so I'll rather wait for Mageia.

Comment

Working...
                      X