No announcement yet.

Mono Developers Go Bye-Bye From Attachmate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would people be opposed to an ISO-compliant implementation of the CLR? This would break binary-compatibility with the .NET Framework, as Microsoft didn't really follow their own standard.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
      1. Who says those people have "families and children to feed"? We're not in the 19th century. Most geeks I know are single and will die single.
      Peer groups are rarely representative. I, for one, do something that can be seem as compsci in america. There are girls in OS design class and definately not only ugly ones. Next up is programming in assembly like languages for industrial PLC's and most in that class are not single or nerdy at all.

So there's nothing wrong about feeling well with this piece of information. Money being taken away from supporting the development of mono is always good news. And to those fired, you can only say, "if you sleep with dogs you'll wake up with fleas".
      That's a fairly biased political view, like any other. I hate Mono but I do feel sorry for the devs.

Good day for the foss community!
      Indeed

Comment

Actually the devs could have seen it comming.

(There is another possibility but this has a conspiracy theme.)
        That they are actually working for MS to create that illusion.
        (MS keeps all control.) While pretending to be a seperate entity.

These developers will probably be funded by some low- profile companie if all goes according to plan. Or find other jobs.

C'mon dudes, it's like these people can't find another job.
        It's not like the whole world/Europe/Germany stopped needing programmers yesterday or something like that.

With all discreteness and respect.
        Mono is a farce and smoke screen.

It isn't actually reliable and opens up to patent suits.

That legally binding promise isn't actually binding.
        And there are many other legal (and technical) problems with it.

Also someone needs to kick out the Mono zealot who works at Ubuntu.
        Replacing the Gimp with some mono based crap, what a waste!

Comment

I meant to say It's not like they can not find other jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
            uhm...name at least one language that is that easy to code, that powerful and has such a great performance.

not to meantion Visual Studio, I've yet to see an IDE powerful and nice as that one.

don't get me wrong: I don't like Microsoft and in most cases their software is just plain bullshit. But when it comes to Visual Studio and C#, they did something wonderful. And thanks to mono, we can enjoy that, too.

yes, I am a C# programer. Yes I do want to learn C++ sometime, because I want to go "deeper" but as long as there is no IDE for linux that is capable of auto-completion and has a proper design, it's just pain in the ass. And yes I'm wondering how people could write such great things like the linux kernel and gnome withhout an IDE.
            Qt/C++, Qt Creator as IDE.
            This comes from someone who is coding C#/.NET all days at work in Visual Studio, and C++/Qt at home on my sparetime.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
              You make quite a few nice assumptions here. Although populism always sounds well, it rarely is true.

1. Who says those people have "families and children to feed"? We're not in the 19th century. Most geeks I know are single and will die single.
              Look up their profiles.

2. It's not like those people are going to starve now. Germany is a social country. The worst they'll get to is still more than your average student working half time here earns. It may be poverty or something, by only by really high western standards, meaning they can't afford a car or something. They're not going to starve.
              These programmers worked in the US, not Germany. How did you get that?

3. Your reply sounds like any way to earn money is correct. Sort of like "the end justifies the means". Like, if those guys were participating in some illegal business, it would still be wrong for other people to feel relieved when they got caught.
              Scarecrow argument. They were not participating in illegal business.

Free software. They wrote Free software. You may not have liked their product but you are still an asshole if you celebrate the loss of their jobs.

Comments such as these make me ashamed to be part of this community. They are a perversion of everything free software stands for.

Comment

Originally posted by Znurre View Post
                This comes from someone who is coding C#/.NET all days at work in Visual Studio, and C++/Qt at home on my sparetime.
                Qt Creator is probably the best free C++ IDE.

But since the original poster already knows C#, I'd suggest learning a programming language outside the C family: Python, Ruby, Ocaml/F# are some great choices.

Comment

This is the best outcome for Mono ever.

Comment

Originally posted by lopho View Post
                    code::blocks
                    eclipse

there. two nice ide.
                    yeh, I tried code::blocks two times, but somehow the auto-completion doesn't work...I'll try to compile it tomorrow.

eclipse...that's just a big accident IMHO.

Qt -> KDE, that's not really "multi-platform".

I tried Python and I really like it (no brackets yay ) but somehow I can't get really into it.

A colleague of mine had to program using Ruby some time ago...I can still hear his screams of pain in my ears .

F#, yeh I wanted to try that for some time. but are ocaml and F# really that compatible?

hmm...seems I really should try it :/

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                      I won't be empathizing you when you get your ass sued to a pile of mishmash by Microsoft when you created your entire business based on Mono. Mono is evil, just get over it. No matter how hard you try, it is still based on a corporation that tries to kill you all the time.

Lay off all Mono devs, lol good! I like it! Now you mono devs can kiss your ass good bye for 'doing the wrong thing'.
                      .NET is an ECMA standard, stop letting your irrational paranoia control your thoughts. Only mono stuff relating to windows compatibility is in any remote danger of patent issues, and those parts aren't needed for developing linux applications.

Comment

Working...
                      X