No announcement yet.

How well does nouveau 3D work for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well does nouveau 3D work for you?

With nouveau finally having some actual _support_ for 3D, and accepting bug reports for some it on some nvidia cards, I'm wondering what's the graphically most sophisticated (windows?) game you've managed to play with nouveau?

I installed 2.6.39-rc and tried StarCraft 2 with Wine, didn't work though

There are huge differences between cards with DX10+ and older cards. Which card did you test? A 9400 GT can run Trine, just very slow. You may need to install llvm 2.7 instead of 2.6 (which was the squeeze default) in order to build it correctly when you build full mesa with gallium. Did you use gallium?

Comment

I'm using a 8800GTX. Actually, I'm gonna need to try Trine out on it, haven't thought about that. I'm using llvm 2.8 and yes, gallium.

As it turns out though, the starcraft crash ultimately was caused by my user not having access to the videocard (doh!). After fixing that, StarCraft 2 actually starts, which is cool, but there's some major graphical bugs already at the login screen, and I have only a tenth of an fps, so I never bothered login in.

I'm surprised about the speed, both in StarCraft, and in your mention that Trine is slow, given the recent phoronix benchmarks that showed nouveau was more or less as fast as the binary driver on older cards?

Comment

For Wine programs, you need to compile Nouveau 3D 32-bit on 64-bit systems. The default Nouveau 3D packages of Ubuntu and probably others only contain 64-bit compiled Nouveau 3D on 64-bit.

Comment

@AlbertP
          That's interesting, are you saying my bad performance under wine could be the result of nouveau simply not working in the 32-bit environment? My system is 64-bit. Would you happen to be aware of any instructions on compiling nouveau with 32-bit support?

Comment

Nouveau is working with 32-bit on 64-bit systems, but Ubuntu have just been too lazy to include 32-bit support in the amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental package.

And there are instructions on compiling 32-bit on http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumHowto at the bottom of the page, but I never managed to compile libdrm which is necessary for the latest Git (the default libdrm of Linux Mint 11 is too outdated).

Comment

Working...
            X