No announcement yet.

Linux Kernel Boot Statistics: 2.6.24 To 2.6.39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and thinking about it, the amount of data read through the different kernel versions is also kind of interesting:

(Damn you, 1 min edit limit.)

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      In this day and age having to do a full boot should become a rarity not common practice.
      I agree full-heartedly. However, until suspend/hibernate becomes reliable, it's just not an option. It's nice to have a backup option (fast booting) even if it's not as good.

Look at Windows... boot times are horrible in comparison but suspend and hibernate work nearly flawlessly on everything. If suspend doesn't work on windows you really take a hit. Also Windows has a long history of being reboot happy when int comes to updating software.

Even when you can avoid frequent rebooting, it still happens. I'd rather it not be painful like Windows. That's why we should care about boot times. So even when you're facing the necessity of a reboot it's a slight inconvenience rather than a full on go-brew-coffee break.

Comment

Win7 actually boots very quickly on my laptop. I'm not sure if it beats the Ubuntu install, but both are completely undramatic to reboot.

(The desktop takes ages, though - I suspect it might be because it's got a slow HD, instead of the SSD in the laptop.)

Comment

Working...
        X