What Would Be A Win For KWin In KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I think the complication here is that there truly are multiple "realities" in the Linux world, each representing a different possible path to increased market share, and each independent of the other (ie the requirements for one "path to success" are not requirements for another path, although having them all would be nice).

One of those realities is based on consumer user acceptance ie "Windows users", where the lack of universal support for the latest games and a few "unavoidable productivity apps" is widely regarded as all that is needed. Compositor support is nice but more than basic support is probably not necessary in this reality.

Another reality is arguably based on "attracting Mac users", where the top priority is regarded as having a top notch desktop environment and a few key applications, and where compositor support is clearly top priority.

There are a few other "paths to growth" including mobile platforms, but the key point here is that each one defines a subset of requirements which is sufficient for "success", and each is relatively independent of the other. What that means from a discussion POV is that each one *is* arguably a reality in its own right.

It makes for some interesting forum discussions
    What i get as a conclusion in this and in other similar discussions that have taken place is that the most important thing missing from linux is a foundation (basic components) that you can built upon. Some are in place and others are being worked but until the whole thing gets done we will going to see a lot more discussions like this.

Comment

The real fact of the matter is that both windows and osx have a suprior composited desktop experience right now, and better game support.

Composited desktops in linux are extremely random performance and stability-wise, probably partly due to driver crap but its a mess compared to say aero or quartz which perform well on every machine I've used them on.

On my machines scrolling is total crap with compiz enabled compared to windows. Kwin just has horrible performance all around :/ Haven't been able to really test gnome 3's mutter because gnome 3 doesn't work well with ati right now.

What I do love about linux is how configurable everything is, there's not any options for windows aero. But performance, stability, and usability wise linux has a very long way to go in this area.

I think a proper composited desktop experience is very important for a modern distro aimed at being user friendly.

Comment

If anything, the trend seems to be towards simplification and bringing the mobile user experience to the desktop, at least that's what I am seeing.
        Yep, Agree. I can care-less when they do that. Just make sure it's consistent, beauty, tidy, easy to use, and not to take away the run (alt+f2) command. 'Cause if the thing I want to run is to deep buried from the top-menu, I can search it once, then run it from 'run' command for next time.

But really, some people doesn't understand that desktop isn't tablet/phone. Or I'm the one being ignorant?

Comment

Or maybe there isn't universal agreement that expanding and enriching the desktop experience is the top priority in the first place...
          That's for sure.

If anything, the trend seems to be towards simplification and bringing the mobile user experience to the desktop, at least that's what I am seeing.
          Then you should take a look at Windows, KDE and OS X. Simplicity means something much different out there.

Comment

One of those realities is based on consumer user acceptance ie "Windows users", where the lack of universal support for the latest games and a few "unavoidable productivity apps" is widely regarded as all that is needed. Compositor support is nice but more than basic support is probably not necessary in this reality.
            While compositor is enabled by default in main DEs then I wonder how some games can be more important?

Comment

Working...
            X