What Would Be A Win For KWin In KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
    Sometimes I read your posts and am totally convinced that you're trolling.
    Some people are so good at it that they can do it subconsciously ;P

Comment

How's that an issue? Compiz can just take a screenshot of the window before minimizing and show that. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        How could Wayland prevailing over X.Org make a difference for KWin and Compiz (other than Wayland's compositor potentially eliminating the need for KWin and Compiz) ? The X stack and Wayland use the same drivers.
        Yep, you're right. It's the drivers that still lack some functionality. My understanding of Wayland was mostly wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
          Sometimes I read your posts and am totally convinced that you're trolling.
          I must admit that I have a tendency to focus on the negative stuff

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            How's that an issue? Compiz can just take a screenshot of the window before minimizing and show that. Problem solved.
            That's what KDE does. If you do the same on Windows though, you'll see that the thumbnail gets updated normally even when the window is minimized.

Not that I actually care about this feature though. If I want to see the window, I simply restore it first. You can't see much in a thumbnail anyway. The only issue here is the "ha, see? Linux can't do that" effect.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              The only issue here is the "ha, see? Linux can't do that" effect.
              Do you think that this is a good enough reason to kill X

Comment

I say this after having read the reply of X.Org devs to the main dev of KWin, telling him that neither Compiz nor KWin are the most important users of X.Org.
                He said that StarCraft 2 is a much much more important user of Mesa/X.Org than KWin and that many people would gladly sacrifice Kwin if they could run SC2 or WoW. AAA games are one of the most important pieces of software for Linux consumers and generally for Linux success on the consumer market, not some desktop eye candy. That's the reality.

Comment

If you do the same on Windows though, you'll see that the thumbnail gets updated normally even when the window is minimized.
                  Does it? I just checked on my Win7 (with Guild Wars and the Task Manager), and it doesn't.
                  And it shouldn't, because I would hate to see a minimized window hogging major GPU resources just to keep a thumbnail updated.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                    He said that StarCraft 2 is a much much more important user of Mesa/X.Org than KWin and that many people would gladly sacrifice Kwin if they could run SC2 or WoW. AAA games are one of the most important pieces of software for Linux consumers and generally for Linux success on the consumer market, not some desktop eye candy. That's the reality.
                    That's actually quite sad.

Comment

That's what KDE does. If you do the same on Windows though, you'll see that the thumbnail gets updated normally even when the window is minimized.
                      That is not true. Windows do the same kind of thing as kwin, i.e. having this static thumbnail 'screenshot' of the window.
                      Though, windows is able to show the thumbnail, even though you haven't seen the window yet (app starting minimized). That is something kwin cannot do AFAIK.

Comment

Working...
                      X