Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would Be A Win For KWin In KDE

Phoronix: What Would Be A Win For KWin In KDE

Martin Gr??lin, the lead developer of the KWin compositing window manager in KDE, has just wrote about improvements he would like to see made to this critical free software project for the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome, can't wait to see how this develops.

Martin + the Kwin team continually push the envelope of WM features both in the linux world and even considering Windows / OS X.

Comment

Even when X.Org treats them and Compiz as second class citizens, both continue to be amazing. Can't wait for X.Org to die (at long last) and Wayland to prevail. At this point, X.Org is starting to hurt Linux on the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Even when X.Org treats them and Compiz as second class citizens, both continue to be amazing. Can't wait for X.Org to die (at long last) and Wayland to prevail. At this point, X.Org is starting to hurt Linux on the desktop.
        I like Wayland and seperate networked widgets, but could you eleborate as to why X.Org is starting to hurt Linux on the desktop? (no troll for once )

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          I like Wayland and seperate networked widgets, but could you eleborate as to why X.Org is starting to hurt Linux on the desktop? (no troll for once )
          Not implying that it has already been doing that...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            By not paying full attention to the needs of Compiz and KWin. I say this after having read the reply of X.Org devs to the main dev of KWin, telling him that neither Compiz nor KWin are the most important users of X.Org. That came as a total surprise to me, and was quite shocking. (And I wonder why people didn't react strongly to that.)

I believe that those two projects (and by extension, KDE and Gnome) are the most vital for the Linux desktop, and therefore should be considered the most important X.Org users. How else can Linux be on-par with Microsoft's Aero and Apple's Quartz? By not treating Compiz/KWin using the highest priority, improvements to the Linux desktop will continue to be glacial. I started reading Phoronix 3 years ago. Since that time, progress was slow, giving the impression that advancing the Linux multimedia desktop is not the highest priority of X.Org.

Comment

How could Wayland prevailing over X.Org make a difference for KWin and Compiz (other than Wayland's compositor potentially eliminating the need for KWin and Compiz) ? The X stack and Wayland use the same drivers.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                How could Wayland prevailing over X.Org make a difference for KWin and Compiz (other than Wayland's compositor potentially eliminating the need for KWin and Compiz) ? The X stack and Wayland use the same drivers.
                I've read that certain usability issues in compiz (for example the absolutely HORRIBLE alt tab behavior, where minimized windows show no thumbnail, and instead show this ridiculous blurry icon) are due to limitations of x.

correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                  I've read that certain usability issues in compiz (for example the absolutely HORRIBLE alt tab behavior, where minimized windows show no thumbnail, and instead show this ridiculous blurry icon) are due to limitations of x.

correct me if I'm wrong.
                  Actually it is half true. The window is unmapped when minimized (reason for missing thumbnails) which is in fact a flaw in the netwm specification as minimization is just missing. It could be fixed by an update to the spec, all window managers implementing it and all toolkits adjusting to it.

KWin kind of worked around it by adding a config option to not unmap the windows on minimization, but also printing a warning that this can break clients (e.g. videos not paused on minimize, remote desktop applications keeping keyboard lock).

Comment

Sometimes I read your posts and am totally convinced that you're trolling.

Comment

Working...
                    X