Page 69 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 1303

Thread: Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

  1. #681
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmstick View Post
    You just change oibaf to Saucy the same way it was changed to Raring when it is available for Saucy. Honestly, there's no difference between the packages.

    sudo sed -i 's/raring/saucy/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/oibaf*; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade -y; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
    If it helps, przemoli, I've already done this to install the Raring Mesa packages (the video-* packages didn't install, for some reason, but that doesn't seem to matter).

    It makes a HUGE difference when playing Portal and Portal 2 (through wine) to the point where I can put all the graphics options up to high and it's still playable on my A8-3850, admittedly only at 1650x1050 resolution. Everything was much slower with Mesa 9.2. I assume the difference is the SB backend being on by default in Mesa 10 but there are a lot of other things that all help.
    Last edited by tom.higgy; 10-21-2013 at 10:00 AM.

  2. #682
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom.higgy View Post
    If it helps, przemoli, I've already done this to install the Raring Mesa packages (the video-* packages didn't install, for some reason, but that doesn't seem to matter).

    It makes a HUGE difference when playing Portal and Portal 2 (through wine) to the point where I can put all the graphics options up to high and it's still playable on my A8-3850, admittedly only at 1650x1050 resolution. Everything was much slower with Mesa 9.2. I assume the difference is the SB backend being on by default in Mesa 10 but there are a lot of other things that all help.
    Try running sudo aptitude upgrade -y; sudo aptitude dist-upgrade to get the rest of those to install. They won't install with apt-get apparently.

  3. #683
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmstick View Post
    Try running sudo aptitude upgrade -y; sudo aptitude dist-upgrade to get the rest of those to install. They won't install with apt-get apparently.
    OIBAF raring driver depend of "xorg-video-abi-13"..
    They are not in raring.

  4. #684
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fritzls View Post
    OIBAF raring driver depend of "xorg-video-abi-13"..
    They are not in raring.
    xorg-video-abi-13 doesn't exist. You are referring to xserver-xorg-core which is inside oibaf repos.

  5. #685
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmstick View Post
    xorg-video-abi-13 doesn't exist. You are referring to xserver-xorg-core which is inside oibaf repos.
    when you force the intel or radeon drivers from raring inside saucy he display a dependency error with the virtual package "xorg-video-abi-13"..

    You need to break the dependencies for this.

  6. #686
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fritzls View Post
    when you force the intel or radeon drivers from raring inside saucy he display a dependency error with the virtual package "xorg-video-abi-13"..

    You need to break the dependencies for this.
    Odd, I'm receiving the same errors on one of my machines. So this method seems broken now until oibaf creates a Saucy repo. xorg-video-abi-13 is actually supposed to be xserver-xorg-core though, since xorg-video-abi-13 also doesn't exist in Ubuntu 13.04, though it lives as a virtual package that points to xserver-xorg-core.

  7. #687
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Oibaf, thanks a lot for adding saucy support. I believe that for saucy the KDE 4.11 repository is not necessary as the kde-window-manager package lists libwayland-client0 as a dependency, rather than libwayland0, which was the case in the kubuntu-backports ppa (http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/kde-window-manager).

    So I will try and report if the upgrade is easy.

  8. #688
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33

    Default Installation catalyst/Mesa

    Dear all,

    I want to ask a trivial question. Why do not we have a GUI tool which helps people(covering from the beginner to expert) to select different version of the videodriver to be installed. If I want to use the open source driver just click on it and it does it for me/if I want to go back to Catalyst it will just happen. It would be good if I can test different Catalyst drivers and Open source drivers and the whole system just remain stable.

    The code should check all dependency and fix all errors (as I heard) catalyst can cause?

    Why this cannot be done? Is it complex? We do not have anybody who can help coding it? It can not be done. etc

    I would appreciate if somebody can tell me truth. I am not an expert, so forgive me If I am asking basic things, however my goal is to make Linux more popular and If I see that I cannot do it I feel we are just not there to get Linux popular despite many people try to help.

    Thank you,

    Kind regards,

    Lajos Nagy

  9. #689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsa1983 View Post
    Oibaf, thanks a lot for adding saucy support. I believe that for saucy the KDE 4.11 repository is not necessary as the kde-window-manager package lists libwayland-client0 as a dependency, rather than libwayland0, which was the case in the kubuntu-backports ppa (http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/kde-window-manager).

    So I will try and report if the upgrade is easy.
    Yes, indeed the wayland split is already in saucy.

  10. #690
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Furthermore, it would be good if there is an option which allows the installer to be participant in the test program which means all the required log files automatically would be sent to the developers for further review. (like the steam beta allows you to do it).

    Reading your tremendous quantity of comments to help people to fix problems enlighten to me, maybe this would be the best for you ( and other clever guys) to save time as you do not need request the log files you will just receive it and you can select what you need. Unfortunately I am not there yet to help in analyzing the errors.

    Think about it. If I can help somehow I will do so.

    Something else it is not clear to me. Many open source developers work to AMD directly. I expect if they work in the same office/same company how do they do not know how the catalyst works. Do they do not have access to different department codes?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •