No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, if you are using an i386 or pure amd64 distro, then you dont need the chroot environments. In that case building the mesa source packages is easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
      I have been building oibaf's ppa packages with llvm git (from llvm git ppa) for almost a month now. In order to do that you can set up two chroot environments (one for amd64, another for i386). You need to install the build dependencies as well as the llvm-3.4 packages and libtinfo-dev (I had to install this lib manually since it was not in the build-dep), edit the debian/rules contained inside the mesa tarball from oibaf's ppa in order to change llvm-config-3.3 to llvm-config-3.4 and dpkg-buildpackage the mesa packages.

This way I am enjoying OpenGL 3.0 on radeonsi.
      That shouldn't be a user's job to do though. Considering it's vital to open source drivers, this is in oibaf's jurisdiction to provide updated llvm packages in the repository.

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
        LLVM dev API changes frequently and this will cause more build breakage, so I prefer to stick to the stable one. However final 3.4 should be released next month.
        I'll wait then. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          That shouldn't be a user's job to do though. Considering it's vital to open source drivers, this is in oibaf's jurisdiction to provide updated llvm packages in the repository.
          I fully agree with you. The average user shouldn't be compiling things (hey, that's why we are using ppa's! At least that's my case). I was just pointing out that if someone wants to enable OpenGL 3.0 on radeonsi, it is not that complicated as hand compiling mesa from the git tarball. You only need some debootstrap (if not using pure amd64 or i386), apt-get and dpkg-buildpackage commands, but nothing really fancy. However, and pointing in the same direction as your post, in my opinion (which, by the way, is not technical as I am neither a programmer nor a system maintainer) from the user's perspective having to rely on llvm git to have an up-to-date mesa experience and/or solve some rendering/crashing bugs is not that great. From a technical perspective, I am sure the advantages outnumber the drawbacks and, please, note that from that perspective I am not criticising that move by AMD's open source team.

In any case oibaf's work is just awesome. He beats the guys at canonical since he enabled radeonsi + glamor support quite some time ago.

Comment

• Thanks for the appreciations and a little update:
            • on 32 bit I am now compiling with -march=pentium3 -mtune=generic , this now requires a Pentium 3 (before a Pentium 2 was required and MMX/SSE were disabled);
            • as you may have read mesa is now at 10.0 with OpenGL 3.2.

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
              Thanks for the appreciations and a little update:
              • on 32 bit I am now compiling with -march=pentium3 -mtune=generic , this now requires a Pentium 3 (before a Pentium 2 was required and MMX/SSE were disabled);
              • as you may have read mesa is now at 10.0 with OpenGL 3.2.
              Nice, are there any noticeable improvements in performance in Mesa 10 with OpenGL 3.2?
              I'll update later.

Comment

• Hi , Kubuntu 13.10, oibaf release son for this distribution?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vincenzov View Post
                  Hi , Kubuntu 13.10, oibaf release son for this distribution?
                  Since it appears to be needed, seconded:

I have installed Kubuntu 13.10 on my laptop with Radeon graphics

Code:
                  $ uname -r
                  3.11.0-12-generic

$ dmesg | grep UVD
                  [    3.884511] [drm] UVD initialized successfully.

$ vdpauinfo 
                  display: :0   screen: 0
                  Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_r600.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
                  Error creating VDPAU device: 1
                  OK, so how do I get UVD hardware video acceleration via vdpau working properly?

Comment

• I had read that it was working with mesa 9.2, look what it says oibaf.

Comment

• Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
                      Since it appears to be needed, seconded:

I have installed Kubuntu 13.10 on my laptop with Radeon graphics

Code:
                      $ uname -r
                      3.11.0-12-generic

$ dmesg | grep UVD
                      [    3.884511] [drm] UVD initialized successfully.

$ vdpauinfo 
                      display: :0   screen: 0
                      Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_r600.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
                      Error creating VDPAU device: 1
                      On 13.10, just download and install the .deb of libg3dvl (Raring) package and you're good to go.

Comment

Working...
                      X