No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a serious problem and I don't now if it's related to kernel or opensource drivers. I'm using Xubuntu 13.04, I have a Mobility Radeon HD 3650 card and I use the latest version of the kernel (3.12) with DPM activated and this PPA. Often, the screen freezes, goes black and then turns on again but there are graphical glitches (distortions and other things) and the system is unresponsive, then I have to do a forced shutdown. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Hokasito; 01 October 2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokasito View Post
      I have a serious problem and I don't now if it's related to kernel or opensource drivers. I'm using Xubuntu 13.04, I have a Mobility Radeon HD 3650 card and I use the latest version of the kernel (3.12) with DPM activated and this PPA. Often, the screen freezes, goes black and then turns on again but there are graphical glitches (distortions and other things) and the system is unresponsive, then I have to do a forced shutdown. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Thanks in advance.
      I think "spstarr" on the #radeon IRC channel is seeing similar issues (at least at first glance). IIRC his current thinking is that it may not actually be a DPM issue but I haven't been following closely.
      Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I think "spstarr" on the #radeon IRC channel is seeing similar issues (at least at first glance). IIRC his current thinking is that it may not actually be a DPM issue but I haven't been following closely.
        Well, so I suppose there isn't workarounds or fixes because the possible causes have not been founded. Any idea?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokasito View Post
          Well, so I suppose there isn't workarounds or fixes because the possible causes have not been founded. Any idea?
          Correct, although it seems that *most* of spstarr's problems have been fixed recently, just not all. Might not hurt for the two of you to compare notes... IIRC some of the fixes were in userspace drivers rather than kernel but not 100% sure.
          Test signature

Comment

• I'm on Ubuntu 12.10 and using DRM-Next's latest kernel (3.11.0-996-generic). I installed mesa xserver-xorg-video-ati and libvdpau from the PPA.
            UVD via vdpau works just fine, though there's this odd glitch that happens when I maximize the window of the video while it's paused; it maxmizes
            but within the window the un-maxmized version is displayed.... Here's a screen shot, notice how the window of the video is maxmized but it shows it isn't? This goes away as soon as I play the video.... Anybody know what's causing this? (using mpv a player based off of mplayer/mplayer2)

EDIT: This also happens with mplayer2 (happens to both mpv and mplayer2 when using vdpau only, doesn't happen at all with the other VOs)
            Last edited by Bushido_root; 01 October 2013, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Good news on GLAMOR support (raring only for now)

So I take some time to add proper glamor support on my PPA build chain. glamor package now is based on the official Ubuntu one (no longer copied from other unofficial PPA) so it will integrate better with Ubuntu (e.g. source package name is glamor-egl, share the same bug, ...), also I could easily update it from git like other packages (mesa, libdrm, xorg drivers). Also there is no more need to force enabling glamoregl for it to work - the package just do it for you. Lastly, I obviously also enabled xv support.

Comment

• vincenzo@AthlonII-X4-640:~$ xvinfo
                X-Video Extension version 2.2
                screen #0
                Adaptor #0: "GLAMOR Textured Video"
                number of ports: 16
                port base: 63
                operations supported: PutImage
                supported visuals:
                depth 24, visualID 0x21
                number of attributes: 5
                "XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -1000 to 1000)
                client settable attribute
                client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
                "XV_CONTRAST" (range -1000 to 1000)
                "XV_SATURATION" (range -1000 to 1000)
                "XV_HUE" (range -1000 to 1000)
                "XV_COLORSPACE" (range 0 to 1)
                maximum XvImage size: 8192 x 8192
                Number of image formats: 2
                id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
                guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
                bits per pixel: 12
                number of planes: 3
                type: YUV (planar)
                id: 0x30323449 (I420)
                guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
                bits per pixel: 12
                number of planes: 3
                type: YUV (planar)
                vincenzo@AthlonII-X4-640:~$

Verygood

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Correct, although it seems that *most* of spstarr's problems have been fixed recently, just not all. Might not hurt for the two of you to compare notes... IIRC some of the fixes were in userspace drivers rather than kernel but not 100% sure.
                  I have a 3450 AGP and the same problems... it's annoying becouse my system desktop is unusable (but console works fine)

Comment

• Certain r6xx boards still seem to have problems with dpm. See: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=66963

Comment

• I'm not sure that is related to DPM problems.
                      Because I have the same issue, my unity interface cannot be launched but I have access to the terminals (Cltr+Alt+F1/F2/...) and I use RS880 card with Kernel 3.8 (provided by default by Ubuntu 13.04) and the DPM feature is recently appeared in Kernel 3.11...

So I can't access to my desktop since 3 days...!

Comment

Working...
                      X