Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amd e-450 mpeg2 and h264

Thanks for your work in providing your ppa. I have a little nettop that has the amd e-450 chip with radeon 6350 hd chip. processor is dual 1.6. This is dedicated to mythtv frontend and hopefully xbmc. after installing your ppa with the vdpau acceleration, using vdpau in both myth and xbmc i get a much lower processor rate, but frame rate of less than half of what the material is. in myth it is all mpeg2, mostly at high def. in xbmc i have a lot of h264. the h264 at higher definition is not playable.

using the amd fglrx with xvba, xbmc with xvba compiled in, the h264 acceleration works very well and all is playable at less than 20 per cent cpu however the mpeg2 is not as good and i get a little bit of tearing on the mpeg2 hd on myth and about 15 per cent higher cpu, mostly around 70 per cent on the mpeg2 hd.

are there any settings or anything else i can do to get the vdpau acceleration on the mpeg2 to work, and is there any settings i can make to get h264 to play better.

currently i am using xorg edgers ppa because the mpeg2 was slightly better than this ppa (oliaf). after putting that in there is no libg3dvl so i could not check the vdpau. i installed a lib3gdvl package from ubuntu, but it crashed the video in vdpau.

this is on mythbuntu which is ubuntu 12.04 with a kernel supplied by xorg edgers (3.5 series). any help from anyone who can give any advice on settings or alterations to get these things working would be most greatly appreciated.

Comment

• So by installing this package I get the latest open source drivers? This works for AMD and Nvidia drivers as well? Everytime I run the command "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" I will get the latest drivers?

Also does this include the latest features enabled, like ATI Hyper Z and other stuff I've seen in phoronix benchmarks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        So by installing this package I get the latest open source drivers? This works for AMD and Nvidia drivers as well? Everytime I run the command "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" I will get the latest drivers?

Also does this include the latest features enabled, like ATI Hyper Z and other stuff I've seen in phoronix benchmarks?
        Yes, but you probably also need an updated kernel for some features, depending on your chipset.

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
          Yes, but you probably also need an updated kernel for some features, depending on your chipset.
          Thanks, I'm on 3.7 kernel with Mint 14.

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
            Hi, there is no magic in my PPA, I just provide what's currently in upstream projects, open a bug here if you want to see it fixed:
            https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Mesa
            Hi, not sure if it is an upstream problem. Updated with xorg-edgers and everything works.

Comment

• Last 2 versions are broken.

Last 2 versions of Radeon drivers are broken. Previous versions (buit before February) were just fine.

Tested on HD5770 and...
              1) Compressed textures aren't handled correctly now (or memory transfers are seriously broken). I can see textured surfaces with compressed textures are full of very specific block-based garbage. It has worked perfectly 2 releases ago though. Only February versions are broken.
              2) After some time (some seconds to ~10 minutes) of mentioned 3D loads, GPU locks up. Kernel attempts to reset it and then reset fails. System locks up so hard that even die-hard Alt-SysRq keys are gone at this point and it locks up even before anything meaningful in kernel log could be written to disk. So there are no logs with crash.

Previous versions were fine in both compressed textures handling (I use libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0) - there was no garbage. And there was no any lockups even after hours of any 3D loads.

N.B. I'm using 3.8 RC5 and RC6 kernels. They were fine with pre-February versions.
              Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 05 February 2013, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
                Last 2 versions of Radeon drivers are broken. Previous versions (buit before February) were just fine.

Tested on HD5770 and...
                1) Compressed textures aren't handled correctly now (or memory transfers are seriously broken). I can see textured surfaces with compressed textures are full of very specific block-based garbage. It has worked perfectly 2 releases ago though. Only February versions are broken.
                2) After some time (some seconds to ~10 minutes) of mentioned 3D loads, GPU locks up. Kernel attempts to reset it and then reset fails. System locks up so hard that even die-hard Alt-SysRq keys are gone at this point and it locks up even before anything meaningful in kernel log could be written to disk. So there are no logs with crash.

Previous versions were fine in both compressed textures handling (I use libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0) - there was no garbage. And there was no any lockups even after hours of any 3D loads.

N.B. I'm using 3.8 RC5 and RC6 kernels. They were fine with pre-February versions.
                Please report a bug against mesa if it's still an issue. See first post.

Comment

• I just discovered this PPA and I can't believe I wasted so many hours trying to get xorg-edgers packages to work on my Debian! This is just wonderful, I can finally use mesa 9, since I'm too lazy to build it from source!
                  The only issue I have is that I can't upgrade the xserver-xorg-video-ati package since it requires xorg-video-abi-13 (or xorg-video-abi-11 for the precise serie) and xserver-xorg-core from the Debian repos only provides xorg-video-abi-12, but everything I need seems to work with xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6 from Debian (except CS Source and TF2 but I haven't searched yet if it is even possible with the free drivers).
                  Sorry if this question is not related to this PPA but any idea if Radeon drivers (ver 1:7.*) from this PPA would provide any noticeable improvement compared to the Radeon drivers (ver 1:6.*)from Debian?

Thank you so much again!

Cheers.
                  Last edited by bigmac; 13 February 2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmac View Post
                    I just discovered this PPA and I can't believe I wasted so many hours trying to get xorg-edgers packages to work on my Debian! This is just wonderful, I can finally use mesa 9, since I'm too lazy to build it from source!
                    The only issue I have is that I can't upgrade the xserver-xorg-video-ati package since it requires xorg-video-abi-13 (or xorg-video-abi-11 for the precise serie) and xserver-xorg-core from the Debian repos only provides xorg-video-abi-12, but everything I need seems to work with xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6 from Debian (except CS Source and TF2 but I haven't searched yet if it is even possible with the free drivers).
                    Sorry if this question is not related to this PPA but any idea if Radeon drivers (ver 1:7.*) from this PPA would provide any noticeable improvement compared to the Radeon drivers (ver 1:6.*)from Debian?

Thank you so much again!

Cheers.
                    All the changes are here: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...video-ati/log/

There are not huge changes other than removing obsoleted UMS.

Comment

• I think most recent libdrm is busted on intel

been having major stability problems (monitor connected on VGA is very fuzzy with bad colours at X startup though DVI monitor is fine, and after 1-2hrs uptime the system starts thrashing badly) since 2/12 when the package was last updated, but they go away when I restart lightdm so I think it's an X issue. tried forcing stable versions of xorg-intel from other PPAs but that didn't do the trick; unfortunately when I try to force version of libdrm, synaptic claims I need to remove virtually every application on my system that depends on X, and I'd rather not go through that.

any word on how I can smoothly revert (I did an apt-get clean thinking I might have dpkg corruption so I don't have slightly older packages in my cache to use) or when you might have a fixed update?

Comment

Working...
                      X