Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
    I meant the PPA, not gallium-nine (found out the symlink a little while back)

To be clear, I wanted to see if I could use Paulo's PPA, with oibaf's gallium-nine PPA. It would seem LLVM 3.7 is not installed with the gallium-nine PPA, so it seems Mesa does depends on a specific build of LLVM.
    Code:
    ldd /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/d3dadapter9.so
    	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xf7707000)
    	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0xf70b8000)
    	libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0xf70b0000)
    	libexpat.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libexpat.so.1 (0xf7080000)
    	libdrm_nouveau.so.2 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdrm_nouveau.so.2 (0xf7078000)
    	libdrm_intel.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdrm_intel.so.1 (0xf7050000)
    	libdrm_radeon.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdrm_radeon.so.1 (0xf7040000)
    	libdrm.so.2 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdrm.so.2 (0xf7030000)
    	libelf.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libelf.so.1 (0xf7010000)
    	libLLVM-3.7.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libLLVM-3.7.so.1 (0xf4d00000)
    	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf4c08000)
    	libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0xf4bc0000)
    	libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xf4a10000)
    	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf49f0000)
    	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7708000)
    	libpciaccess.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpciaccess.so.0 (0xf49e0000)
    	libz.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0xf49c0000)
    	libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libffi.so.6 (0xf49b0000)
    	libedit.so.2 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libedit.so.2 (0xf4980000)
    	libtinfo.so.5 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5 (0xf4958000)
    libLLVM-3.7.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libLLVM-3.7.so.1 (0xf4d00000)

Impossible.

Comment

I meant the PPA, not gallium-nine (found out the symlink a little while back)

To be clear, I wanted to see if I could use Paulo's PPA, with oibaf's gallium-nine PPA. It would seem LLVM 3.7 is not installed with the gallium-nine PPA, so it seems Mesa does depends on a specific build of LLVM.
      you dont need https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...nine/+packages to use my ppa (padoka). My ppa provides nine also, i just went the "debian" way and separated them into libs instead of packing everything in one blob like oibaf did. so to use my nine libs with padoka ppa you just need to apt-get install libd3d9-mesa[-dev,-dbg].

btw this is mentioned in the PPA description field (how to install nine libs with padoka).

hope this helps

Comment

• Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
        you dont need https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...nine/+packages to use my ppa (padoka). My ppa provides nine also, i just went the "debian" way and separated them into libs instead of packing everything in one blob like oibaf did. so to use my nine libs with padoka ppa you just need to apt-get install libd3d9-mesa[-dev,-dbg].

btw this is mentioned in the PPA description field (how to install nine libs with padoka).

hope this helps

He meant ppa builded from iXit mesa. Maybe for testing.

Comment

Has the way DRI_PRIME works changed by some chance? On my A+A muxless laptop, Ubuntu's gpu-manager only sees one GPU, and using DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo only shows the renderer on the iGPU (expected the dGPU).

Xorg.0.log shows the dGPU loading though, and playing back a movie with mpv on the dGPU has "somewhat expected" results (video doesn't show; crashes X when maximized; DRI_PRIME=0 is fine though). xrandr --listproviders shows 2 (3; one source is repeated) sources.

So basically, DRI_PRIME doesn't show my dGPU when polling for info, but it does seem to be used regardless.

I'm using Ubuntu 14.10 and the DRI3 test PPA if it matters. Results are the same when using either Paulo's or oibaf's PPA.
          So, on Xubuntu, setting the account from the default Custom to Administrator allows me to use my dGPU. I usually end up doing this at some point anyway, but just didn't get around to it when I decided to test out Prime.

On a default install with the included kernel, DRI_PRIME works fine as-is. I think using the DRI3 PPA and oibaf PPA changes the way Prime works though involving permissions or something.

So DRI_PRIME works fine now, but it seems Ubuntu's gpu-manager still doesn't detect both GPUs. On A+A (AMD iGPU + AMD dGPU) setups, it's probably not an issue, but I+A (Intel iGPU + AMD dGPU) might run into some issues.

Comment

• Anyone notice problems with older graphic cards? I've been installing Mint 17.1 on machines with Radeon 9700, Geforce 7300, and Geforce 7900 and I got problems. System won't start Cinnamon, XFCE, or even Ubuntu's Unity. Just get a black screen with a mouse cursor. The Nouveau drivers just crash everytime. Updating the kernel can make things worse, as does installing Oibaf's PPA. So far the only solution is to install Nvidia 304 drivers but they suck. They work but not as well as I'd expect. This seems to effect Nvidia hardware a lot more than ATI.

Is there some bug introduced that I'm not aware of?

Comment

• Hi guys, im new forum user, well im running omega 14.12 catalyst, laptop apu a3420m(6520g)- 6470m, well i play a lot of dota2 and thats why i didnt made my total change, still dual boot with windows 10, anyway, i can run dota2 at 25-30fps in windows almost all maxed , ubuntu 14.10 i can get that but with lower settings but still feel lag, (same fps), i was reading today a LOT about foss, and two ppas stand out some miguel and iobift(this post), im not sure about how to install from it,
              i read about some r600, radeon, mesa, its confussing and , if i want to install this drivers from miguel or iobift ppas, how should i do
              Pd. when i installed ubuntu 14.10 , first boot was fine , second boot black screen, had to install catalyst omega and them installed steam and games.(btw war thunder runs really bad).im afraid about this black screen again

Comment

• Originally posted by diego7319 View Post
                Hi guys, im new forum user, well im running omega 14.12 catalyst, laptop apu a3420m(6520g)- 6470m, well i play a lot of dota2 and thats why i didnt made my total change, still dual boot with windows 10, anyway, i can run dota2 at 25-30fps in windows almost all maxed , ubuntu 14.10 i can get that but with lower settings but still feel lag, (same fps), i was reading today a LOT about foss, and two ppas stand out some miguel and iobift(this post), im not sure about how to install from it,
                i read about some r600, radeon, mesa, its confussing and , if i want to install this drivers from miguel or iobift ppas, how should i do
                Pd. when i installed ubuntu 14.10 , first boot was fine , second boot black screen, had to install catalyst omega and them installed steam and games.(btw war thunder runs really bad).im afraid about this black screen again
                As I understand; paulo's PPA is mainly for updated LLVM, which only really benefits radeonsi hardware and not r600. So you should probably stick with oibaf.

In order to use it; you simply add the PPA, and then dist-upgrade and then reboot afterwards:

Code:
                sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                In order to use open-source drivers; you have to remove fglrx if you installed it.

As for black screens on boot; Ubuntu's default kernel does this for whatever reason. Grabbing the latest mainline kernel fixes it for me.

Comment

As I understand; paulo's PPA is mainly for updated LLVM, which only really benefits radeonsi hardware and not r600. So you should probably stick with oibaf.

In order to use it; you simply add the PPA, and then dist-upgrade and then reboot afterwards:

Code:
                  sudo apt-get update
                  In order to use open-source drivers; you have to remove fglrx if you installed it.

As for black screens on boot; Ubuntu's default kernel does this for whatever reason. Grabbing the latest mainline kernel fixes it for me.
                  i dont understand whats the main difference between radeonsi r600 and the other, and are those inside the radeon package? by the way my 6470m is usually detect as 7400m series windowsa and catalyst

Comment

Code:
                    sudo apt-get update

radeonsi and r600 are installed by default?, and 6470m is also detected like 7400m series in some cases windows and ubuntu for me (and internet forums looks like just same thing with little changes)

Comment

• Originally posted by diego7319 View Post
                      i dont understand whats the main difference between radeonsi r600 and the other, and are those inside the radeon package? by the way my 6470m is usually detect as 7400m series windowsa and catalyst
                      Someone else might be able to give more thorough information, but radeonsi is the driver used to handle GCN hardware (I think Radeon HD 7800 series and up, and some R7/R9 hardware). Everything else for the most part that isn't GCN is ran with the r600 driver.

This RadeonFeature page should be much more-detailed at explaining the various names.

As for the detection; it might have to do with lspci and what it has listed for your device ID, but not entirely certain. Another thing is is that some 7xxx hardware is re-branded 6xxx hardware. I don't think the name should really affect anything though.

Comment

Working...
                      X