Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by okias View Post
    Hey, I got pointed to you message from here

If you want, there is patch against today git download.ixit.cz/d3d9/ for building libd3dadapter9.so mesa has to be passed "--enable-nine" to ./configure.

I hope it helps
    Thanks, I meant a patch against debian dir, but there are docs so I can do it myself.
    For the nine code I prefer a git branch, I tried https://github.com/iXit/Mesa-3D but fails to merge to current vanilla mesa git due to latest changes.

Comment

• Hi oibaf, hi dungeon,

Thank you for your replies!

Yeah, the apt cache is where I first went when things started getting hairy stability-wise. The 10.2 packages were long gone, however. For a while, I've used homemade scripts to freeze the currently installed Mesa packages in place and only upgrade in case of crashes with the current set, but no set of packages have been crash-free so far.

In the meanwhile, I got a hard freeze just yesterday, even though I had already downgraded to the default Mesa 10.1 from stock Ubuntu. I suspect the kernel (3.15.6-031506-generic from the mainline repository), this time.

The thing is -- this box isn't just for running Minecraft. I also, and mainly, telecommute from here. So stability is pretty darn important. That rules out running an unstable development version of the graphics stack in the long term, which is the core motivation behind my initial request.

You're perfectly right about reporting bugs. The main reason I haven't done that so far (sorry!) is, I can't specifically tell how to reproduce them (they're sporadic), and the tracebacks in Xorg.log are from one mieqEnqueue which loudly pleads Not Guilty for the hang/freeze/crash, and from there I don't know what to usefully report. Pointers about that would be nice. Would installing the debug symbols for the relevant packages and chucking the pre-croak Xorg.log at the Mesa people be sufficiently of help?

Meanwhile, I think I'll sigh mournfully and go back to stock Ubuntu Mesa on top of stock Ubuntu kernel. Backporting Utopic Mesa stuff sounds like a workable idea, I'll look into that. Thanks all.

Comment

• Originally posted by artivision View Post
        Can you build Mesa with the D3D9 state tracker? It will be appreciated be many.
        If someone could donate a patch that would be a huge step forward.

Comment

• More updates

You may have noticed I added mesa, libdrm and libclc packages also for Ubuntu 14.10/utopic in the PPA.

Also, I looked into adding to mesa package the Gallium D3D9 state tracker (gallium-nine). It works fine, however since it has many changes, merging this git tree into mesa master breaks frequently (as of this writing it still has merge conflicts) and I cannot add it in the main PPA which is automatically updated twice a day. So, I set up a test PPA where you can find a mesa snapshot including it here.

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
            You may have noticed I added mesa, libdrm and libclc packages also for Ubuntu 14.10/utopic in the PPA.

Also, I looked into adding to mesa package the Gallium D3D9 state tracker (gallium-nine). It works fine, however since it has many changes, merging this git tree into mesa master breaks frequently (as of this writing it still has merge conflicts) and I cannot add it in the main PPA which is automatically updated twice a day. So, I set up a test PPA where you can find a mesa snapshot including it here.
            Note: avoid leaving the test PPA enabled since I use it for various stuff that may break things.

Comment

• Right -- time to follow up.

I ended up reverting to the stock Ubuntu kernel (3.13.0-32-generic) and keeping the oibaf packages from a few days ago (10.3~git1407291930) frozen. I'm pleased to report that things have been perfectly stable for me with this setup so far, knocking on wood. This leads me to suspect that my problems came from the DRI driver in the updated kernel, and not Mesa.

As an added bonus, the rendering glitches in Civilization 5 are gone -- thanks to a recent patch in Mesa, AFAICT -- and the Steam beta FINALLY shipped a new, LLVM-3.5 compatible runtime.

Thank you all for your pointers, and special thanks to Oibaf for the PPA. I hope everything will stay fast and stable for the time being.

Comment

Did I ever tell you that I love you?

Comment

• Actually gallium-nine merges properly, so I added it to the main PPA.

Comment

Actually gallium-nine merges properly, so I added it to the main PPA.
                    Wow, this is absolutely great! Thanks for your great work!

Comment

Actually gallium-nine merges properly, so I added it to the main PPA.

Thanks for all you done for as.

Comment

Working...
                      X