Thread: Mesa 10.4 Might Re-Enable HyperZ For R600g/RadeonSI

Default Mesa 10.4 Might Re-Enable HyperZ For R600g/RadeonSI

Phoronix: Mesa 10.4 Might Re-Enable HyperZ For R600g/RadeonSI

The performance of the upcoming Mesa 10.4 might be better out-of-the-box for R600g and RadeonSI Gallium3D driver users if a new patch is accepted to re-enable HyperZ by default...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgyMTI

I wonder how much of the HyperZ mess is related to the quality of the hardware design. Is there a feedback loop back to the hardware guys to get them to fix flakey stuff?

If HyperZ is this hard to get right, there must be a fair few Catalyst bugs in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    I wonder how much of the HyperZ mess is related to the quality of the hardware design. Is there a feedback loop back to the hardware guys to get them to fix flakey stuff?

If HyperZ is this hard to get right, there must be a fair few Catalyst bugs in there too.
    Pretty sure at least 1 of the bugs was caused by a hardware bug that needed a workaround, but others were bad code in Mesa. And at least 1 was commented that it was probably an issue because mesa doesn't implement HiS yet, only HiZ.

I guess Catalyst has the same problems. They most likely just use application profiles to disable features for certain applications that trigger bugs that are not that easy to fix, esp. for less prominent applications.

Great, one env less it works fine for me for about 2 months, but lets see what others say about that.

All i want is to fix the bugs needed to have webgl enabled by default in FF, and fix the hw accelerated video artifacts and flickering. I don't care about performance.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Pretty sure at least 1 of the bugs was caused by a hardware bug that needed a workaround, but others were bad code in Mesa. And at least 1 was commented that it was probably an issue because mesa doesn't implement HiS yet, only HiZ.
    What is HiS?

Quote Originally Posted by mufasa72 View Post
    What is HiS?
    Hierarchical Stencil it is part of HyperZ, other then Hierarchical Z, Early Z, Z compression and Fast Z clear optimizations.

HyperZ is collective name for all these .

Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    Hierarchical Stencil it is part of HyperZ, other then Hierarchical Z, Early Z, Z compression and Fast Z clear optimizations.

HyperZ is collective name for all these .
    But that means that they haven't finished hyperz. What is left for them to do then? Is it just HiS?

Quote Originally Posted by Prescience500 View Post
    But that means that they haven't finished hyperz. What is left for them to do then? Is it just HiS?
    AFAIK no one touch HiS for radeon yet, just like Crossfire . Probably lossless delta color compression will be must have performance feature for Tonga (GCN 1.2) in amdgpu driver, otherwise i expect that thing will perform like Bonaire if not worse