Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: New Mesa Patch To Improve CPU-Bound Applications

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    16,024

    Default New Mesa Patch To Improve CPU-Bound Applications

    Phoronix: New Mesa Patch To Improve CPU-Bound Applications

    For those wondering what else Kristian Høgsberg is working on in his post-Wayland days, after tackling initial Skylake enablement in Mesa his latest achievement is a new Mesa performance patch...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Mesa-Mutx-MTXT

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Great show up to 1.5% for radeon, better then nothing with bunch of missing-braces warnings.

    Only that no one announce -4.5% for radeon with recent intel development (around the time when nir came in) But OK, i guess it only matters when someone write some percentage gain in the commit
    Last edited by dungeon; 01-29-2015 at 08:02 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    PL
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    Great show up to 1.5% for radeon, better then nothing with bunch of missing-braces warnings.

    Only that no one announce -4.5% for radeon with recent intel development (around the time when nir came in) But OK, i guess it only matters when someone write some percentage gain in the commit
    notify the developers with some numbers, instead of complaining here. otherwise it will not get fixed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi314 View Post
    notify the developers with some numbers, instead of complaining here. otherwise it will not get fixed.
    Yeah tell me the story Developers usually care by their numbers not mine numbers, that is why we always have perf bugs .
    Last edited by dungeon; 01-29-2015 at 11:51 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,515

    Default

    Anything that can reduce CPU overhead without the need of altering applications is a great thing. Honestly, I'd rather see more focus on improving CPU overhead than OpenGL 4.x. I understand that's what OGLN is supposed to fix but I have a feeling mesa has room for refinement.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    Yeah tell me the story Developers usually care by their numbers not mine numbers, that is why we always have perf bugs .
    If you have repeatable results and have bisected to find the commits(s) where radeon performance regressed, please share them. Otherwise, quit trolling.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    If you have repeatable results and have bisected to find the commits(s) where radeon performance regressed, please share them.
    I said somewhere when nir came in... which means i didn't bisect that.

    Otherwise, quit trolling.
    Oh thank you, people can't say a word about their experience it seems.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    I said somewhere when nir came in... which means i didn't bisect that.



    Oh thank you, people can't say a word about their experience it seems.
    It may not be trolling but at the very least ranting how software doesn't work without filing bugs and working with devs to improve it is hardly productive

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    It may not be trolling but at the very least ranting how software doesn't work without filing bugs and working with devs to improve it is hardly productive
    And who said i don't do that, if i have time Thing is i alone don't have a time to bisect and filling bugs about everything.
    Last edited by dungeon; 01-29-2015 at 12:41 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    And who said i don't do that, if i have time Thing is i alone don't have a time to bisect and filling bugs about everything.
    You could probably get some dev bisect for you if you send them your computer. More seriously, the problem might be specific to a single chipset which devs do not necessarily have available. If you want any guarantee of a fix, you need to contribute time

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •