Recommended specs for new computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended specs for new computer?

I'm looking to replace my aging desktop computer and would appreciate some advice on building a new rig. I'm planning to dual boot ubuntu (my primary os) and windows 7 for gaming. I'm aiming for the $1,000-1,500 range. Can anyone recommend a complete build for me with linux compatibility in mind? I don't know of any places that specialize in linux where I live, so I'd like to be able to simply take a list of parts to my local computer store and ask them to build it. (I may also try my hand at building it myself.)

So far I'm leaning toward the Intel Core i5 2500 and GeForce GTX 460 because I've read quite favourable reviews, including here on phoronix, and it seems like they provide good bang for their buck.

Originally posted by Rocks and Water View Post
    I'm looking to replace my aging desktop computer and would appreciate some advice on building a new rig. I'm planning to dual boot ubuntu (my primary os) and windows 7 for gaming. I'm aiming for the $1,000-1,500 range. Can anyone recommend a complete build for me with linux compatibility in mind? I don't know of any places that specialize in linux where I live, so I'd like to be able to simply take a list of parts to my local computer store and ask them to build it. (I may also try my hand at building it myself.)

So far I'm leaning toward the Intel Core i5 2500 and GeForce GTX 460 because I've read quite favourable reviews, including here on phoronix, and it seems like they provide good bang for their buck.
    With the Bulldozer processors about a month away I would hold off on buying anything until we see how those do.

Comment

I would say.

If you go for something in the $1,000-1,500 range.

Go for a i7 with a high-end ATI graphics card.
      (and 8GB of ram.)

In the i5 series there is a very weak integrated graphics card.

It's better if you just don't have one of those.
      For most gaming tasks, or even regular desktop use.
      That integrated card isn't powerful enough.

So it's just sitting there leaking power.

Comment

Basically the gfx core is the same if you use i3/i5 or i7 without K. The K versions have got a faster gfx core and allow OC. You might want to get a Z68 board to be able to use both onboard + dedicated gfx card for Win in order use the integrated media encoder. For 1000$ you should be able to get a Z68 board, i7-2600K and a Nv GTX 560 Ti together with 2 tb hd and 8 gb ram. If you have got money left even a small ssd if you care for bootspeed or app startup, but thats optional. Basically you could use a H67 board too for onboard+dedircated the same time, but that will not allow you to oc the system. Not sure if Nvidia will enable "Optimus" for normal intel motherboards soon or if you will still need to use hacks like "Lucid vitu" - some vendors ship that software with the board. Z68 should be available soon.

Comment

Here's my recommendation:
          $140 ASUS P8P67-M PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
          $315 Intel Core i7-2600K
          $100 G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8Gb (2x4gb) DDR3 1600
          $235 PNY GTX 560 Ti 1Gb 256-bit GDDR5
          $210 OCZ Vertex 2 120Gb SATA II SSD
          $80 Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
          $110 CORSAIR 750W SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 Plus Certified PSU
          $90 Cooler Master Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower
          $21 ASUS DRW-24BIST/BLK/B/AS Black Sata 24x DVD Burner OEM
          $90 LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support OEM
          $35 Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 Direct Heat Pipe Cooler w/120mm Fan

Total with shipping Stateside is $1440. You could make several adjustments if you liked, either drop the blu-ray burner if that's not your thing, or keep it and drop the dvd burner. Could get a cheaper case, could drop the SSD, or get 2 smaller ones to have one for windows and linux. I used a 90gb to dual boot before getting a 120gb vertex 3. A 120gb should be plenty to dual boot though. I prefer Nvidia, especially with Linux, but you could swap that out for a different card. For the money it seems like a great buy. I think the GTX 560 is the Maximum PC best midrange card right now.
          Anyway, if you like, I can email you the newegg cart. I saved it as public, but it doesn't show up yet. Oh, if you don't mind waiting a few weeks, I'd recommend waiting and getting a z68 based board with the lucid virtu software. I know ASRock previewed 3 boards that will support it.
          I would also definitely build it myself. It's really not that hard these days, about like legos, everything pretty much only fits in one place. It would be a good experience and save you some money. There are plenty of videos and 'how tos' online to help you if you need it.

Comment

I still would wait until June before even buying an intel system. With Bulldozer being out then it more then likely will drive the price of intels processors down.

Comment

What resolution are you gaming at? A GTX 460 1GB (not the SE version) is good at 1680x1050 and with reduced detail at 1920x1200 too.

If you are gaming on Windows only and the open source drivers' lack of video decode acceleration is not a deal breaker, the Sapphire Radeon 5850 Extreme is currently the price/performance king.

Comment

Working...
              X