Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.3.19 Improves Direct3D 9 Support

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.19 Improves Direct3D 9 Support

It's time for another bi-weekly Wine development snapshot. This release though is somewhat more interesting than some of the other mundane snapshots in the past in that it improves the D3DX9 support, has a new sound driver architecture, etc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Mass Effect mouse hack is once again broken. They should either add a supported permanent hack or fix the damn thing.

Comment

I think some are mislead by which mouse bug that is being fixed.
      They have (hopefully) fixed Bug 26356 (Mouse lags and is sometimes jerky) which is a regression that happened in 1.3.15 when they rewrote some of the mouse handling code.

Now that they fixed stuff they broke themselves they can hopefully put in some more code to finally fix the mouse warp bug.

Comment

"This release though is somewhat more interesting than some of the other mundane snapshots in the past in that it improves the D3DX9 support"

I have already told once you that D3DX9 isn't the same Direct3D9...
        It's just an enhancement library which works PERFECTLY using the native dll and thus isn't a real blocker for any game anyway.

Comment

It may be just me, but I see all these announcements that wine made improvements and bugs were fixed, and everytime I try it it's all the same old shit. What actual new games/programs now run perfectly that didn't before, if any at all? That's what I'd call an improvement, not something like "We fixed more MSXML stuff for the millionth time but everything using it is still broken".

PS: I may be a bit biased in my hate towards Wine because I dislike that it decides to create a bunch of context menu entries that I don't want and decides to associate notepad.exe with text files although I don't want that, and even after removing it, the chaos that it created in my desktop gets left behind. And on top of all that the programs that I wanted to run with it don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            It may be just me, but I see all these announcements that wine made improvements and bugs were fixed, and everytime I try it it's all the same old shit.
            Wine always did seem to fix 10 items and break 9 on each release.

Comment

It may be just me, but I see all these announcements that wine made improvements and bugs were fixed, and everytime I try it it's all the same old shit. What actual new games/programs now run perfectly that didn't before, if any at all? That's what I'd call an improvement, not something like "We fixed more MSXML stuff for the millionth time but everything using it is still broken".

PS: I may be a bit biased in my hate towards Wine because I dislike that it decides to create a bunch of context menu entries that I don't want and decides to associate notepad.exe with text files although I don't want that, and even after removing it, the chaos that it created in my desktop gets left behind. And on top of all that the programs that I wanted to run with it don't work.
              i see what you mean. i personally haven't used wine in maybe 2 years. i really wish they would stop working on direct3d and their fake directx and get the REAL thing working. if they continue creating a fake, open source renderer, they will ALWAYS be behind forever. if the real stuff works then that takes a heap of work off their hands, and helps narrow down probable causes of issues.

virtualization is great when it comes to non-3d software, but that isn't sufficient for everyone. i'd like to virtualize windows and run my games that way but virtual video drivers suck. i could virtualize linux but i prefer a dedicated machine and a reliable host.

Comment

.. I dislike that it decides to create a bunch of context menu entries that I don't want and decides to associate notepad.exe with text files although I don't want that,
                LOL. You have that, too?? I always thought having wine+notepad opening for txt files must be a freak accident on my system...

Comment

I guess it is a case of something like 50 net fixes being done, with something like 1 million more to do.

Comment

Windows is a complicated operating system. To write the whole OS natively (including all the dependencies), you're talking upwards of 25 million lines of code, maybe more if you throw in all the backwards compat stuff.

No wonder wine has problems. If Microsoft needs that many million SLOCs to implement it natively, how many lines do you think wine will need to implement it in emulation by calling POSIX stuff in the background?

Wine *does* work for some applications, but to truly discover what apps a particular release enables, you have to test it.

Comment

Working...
                    X