Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Coming Up For Ubuntu 11.10 & The Summit

Phoronix: What's Coming Up For Ubuntu 11.10 & The Summit

While Ubuntu 11.04 was just released, there's many (including us) already looking towards Ubuntu 11.10 as by then the new Unity desktop interface will hopefully be more polished and usable, there's many pending kernel and open-source Mesa / Gallium3D improvements to hopefully land by then, Wayland may see some experimental adoption, etc. Also, in just over one week, the Ubuntu Developers' Summit for 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like the changes, but what about systemd? Will Ubuntu use it?

- Shipping Unity2D and Qt as part of the default package-set. But because of this, it may mean there's no longer room for shipping Ubuntu ISOs for CDs. The target may have to become a 1GB USB image or DVD ISO going forward.
    Just get rid of crap called mono and you'll have much space for Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      I like the changes, but what about systemd? Will Ubuntu use it?

Just get rid of crap called mono and you'll have much space for Qt.
      Just rewrite Unity2d in Mono and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Just rewrite Unity2d in Mono and be done with it.
        Get rid of Tomboy, Aisleriot, gbrainy, revert Banshee to Rhythmbox, cull more LibreOffice bloatcode and kill /usr/share/example-content.

Comment

Why dump Evolution?

Other than trying to split from Gnome more? Thunderbird doesn't natively support calendaring and reminders from what I know. Sure seems like a downgrade to me.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
            Other than trying to split from Gnome more? Thunderbird doesn't natively support calendaring and reminders from what I know. Sure seems like a downgrade to me.
            Probably to appeal more to the Windows user who may know Thunderbird but definitely not Evolution.

Comment

+1 to kill mono

mono is crap... banshe also, rhythmbox is good, just add buildin keyboard shortcuts, i have to use compiz commands to run rhythmbox via keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                Probably to appeal more to the Windows user who may know Thunderbird but definitely not Evolution.
                That's funny because I thought the entire appeal of Evolution was "Hey, it looks like Outlook, smells like Outlook, and will even connect natively to Exchange Servers. Windows Corporate Users, rejoice!"

Comment

That's funny because I thought the entire appeal of Evolution was "Hey, it looks like Outlook, smells like Outlook, and will even connect natively to Exchange Servers. Windows Corporate Users, rejoice!"
                  Well, that's what Thunderbird does too.

Comment

It doesn't support it out of the box, but with the lightning plugin (based on sunbird and developed by mozilla) it works just fine. I've got all of my installs synced to a google calendar, and all of my devices and OS installs run off a single shared calendar without issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X