Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd Is Now One Year Old; Why You Should Use It

Phoronix: Systemd Is Now One Year Old; Why You Should Use It

The systemd project as a new init daemon for Linux has turned one year old. The first widespread usage of it will occur next month when Fedora 15 ships with systemd while others -- sans Ubuntu at this point -- will also follow suit. But why should you use systemd?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

(Pardon the terse post, just landed in Europe.)
    ... OK, that explains the early post and the use of the French language. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Armin View Post
      ... OK, that explains the early post and the use of the French language. :-)
      Ah ah, I had to read the news 3 times to find where the fuck you found some French

"sans" was the word.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
        Ah ah, I had to read the news 3 times to find where the fuck you found some French

"sans" was the word.
        You forget "pardon".

Comment

While I admit that it's not as modern as systemd, I still really like Gentoo's OpenRC and I think it does tick a fair few of those boxes. It's a shame the original developer abandoned it because I'm sure many of these features would have appeared if he hadn't. There has been talk of Gentoo moving to systemd but in the shorter term, it needs to stabilise OpenRC and get rid of the ageing baselayout-1. This isn't long away now.

Comment

Btw, does Fedora 15 (beta/daily) already ship with GRUB2 by default or still with the legacy one?

Comment

been a while using systemd in arch. Happy with the current state.

Comment

The Ubuntu condition.

1. It's a shame to see the latest systemd package I can get for Ubuntu is systemd-19, when Debian Experimental already has systemd-25.
                2. To force Ubuntu to use systemd, they'll need a punch in the face. Not a real one, but a figurative one resulting from systemd + normal kernel being faster to boot than upstart + ureadahead. Upstart is already beaten, but ureadahead is a tough one: Fedora 15 is close, but still it can't match the Ubuntu boot speed.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Btw, does Fedora 15 (beta/daily) already ship with GRUB2 by default or still with the legacy one?
                  GRUB 2 is available in the repo but not as default. That's possibly something for Fedora 16 along with Btrfs by default and other major changes

Comment

Stopped reading after the first point. When "Interfacing via D-Bus" is painted as a good thing, you just know nothing good will come after that.

Comment

Working...
                    X