Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 11.04 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 11.04 Released

Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" has been officially released this morning. Canonical's new Linux release that features their custom-designed Unity Desktop is now shipping along with improvements to their own Ubuntu Software Center, various package upgrades, and much more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what's the current situation in ubuntu with graphics card ATI Radeon HD 5670: Is Adobe Flash GPU accelerated etc.?

Comment

When you refer to full gpu video accelleration then you can only use 2 ways on a 32 bit (!) system - and without the default chrome flash plugin which has this feature disabled:

a) vdpau
      b) crystal hd

xvba or vaapi is not supported. You need to use an override to enable it too. Therefore it does not matter if you install 32 or 64 bit when you can not use with ati

Comment

Unfortunately, resizing konsole in Kubuntu will produce garbage graphics output, and may in some cases hang the entire computer when using the proprietary nVidia drivers. This is also true for gnome-terminal when it's used in Kubuntu (KDE), but not in the default Ubuntu (GNOME?).

I was hoping for this to be fixed before release, but it seems not to be. Fear of hanging my machine has driven me to use aterm in the mean time.

Comment

This is the bug I'm talking about: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/760632

Comment

the arm port seems to be a good enough reason for me to start torturing my nslu2 once again maybe ill get some edge bleeding out of that little bastard. next stop: n900.

lets see.

Comment

Gnome Shell on 11.04 is a non-starter on my desktop/laptop without adding an extra PPA...

Code:
              user@host~$ sudo apt-get install gnome3-session 
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree       
              Reading state information... Done
              Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
              requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
              distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
              or been moved out of Incoming.
              The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
               gnome3-session : Depends: gnome-shell but it is not installable
              E: Broken packages
              That was from my desktop about 5 minutes ago with a fully updated natty system.

If you want to get Gnome Shell working, check out this page:

They've got a PPA which can get the required packages installed.

Comment

Unity

Hi!

I was surprised to see Unity as default desktop. Didn't they want to revert to classical (gnome 2 like) panels?

Bye,
                Olaf

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                  Hi!

I was surprised to see Unity as default desktop. Didn't they want to revert to classical (gnome 2 like) panels?

Bye,
                  Olaf
                  They talked about it, but decided to stick with Unity, regardless of how well it was(n't) working.

Comment

I've upgraded my Zacate netbook to 11.04 and it seems very solid so far. Unity is awesome! (As a previous AWN+gnome-do user, I feel completely at home with this. Unity replaces both projects perfectly!)

The top panel is more useful than I thought it'd be, while remaining clean. The only things I'd like to see are (a) tab integration into the global menu (not only for browsers, but for all tab-aware applications) and (b) faster response when double-clicking the ubuntu icon (for some reason it won't respond to the second click until it finishes animating). I'd also appreciate better Synaptics/Clickpad drivers, but that's out of Canonical's hands.

Power consumption is measurably higher than Win7, unfortunately, but on the whole the system feels much more comfortable than either Win7 or Ubuntu 10.10 (I won't compare to my Arch/KDE installation as that has significant driver issues right now).

Congratulations on a job well done!

Comment

Working...
                    X