Poll On ATI Linux Driver Possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
    wtf with the windows comparison already! ATI's OpenGL performance has always been bad, even in windows. The way I remember it, there's little performance difference in OpenGL between the two drivers.
    Those of you asking for windows performance are asking for a bad driver! (they might listen).

I want a driver that can fulfill my graphics card's potential (and that's not the windows driver).
    Excuse me, but there's a big difference between the two- approximately half the overall performance under Linux versus Windows in many cases. We're not even AT the mediocre performance showing of the Windows OpenGL driver yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      Excuse me, but there's a big difference between the two- approximately half the overall performance under Linux versus Windows in many cases.
      Ok, I haven't used windows in quite a while, so I must believe you in this approximation. Don't you agree though that, game-wise, "barely/somewhat playable" (windows) is not that much better than "almost unplayable" (linux) ? (the current situation may not be *that* bad)

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      We're not even AT the mediocre performance showing of the Windows OpenGL driver yet.
      Would you be happy with that kind of performance though? I wouldn't...

Comment

OpenGL Windows Performance has improved a lot in the last years. It is as good as nVidias Performance "now".

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
          Ok, I haven't used windows in quite a while, so I must believe you in this approximation. Don't you agree though that, game-wise, "barely/somewhat playable" (windows) is not that much better than "almost unplayable" (linux) ? (the current situation may not be *that* bad)
          It is for at least part of the parts in the supported range for fglrx. In the end, even mediocre is better than what we currently have, which verges on abysmal for some of the chipsets.

Would you be happy with that kind of performance though? I wouldn't...
          If you knew what I did as a pastime as much as anything else, you'd know that I do not consider the mediocre performance in Windows to be acceptable, let alone the worse performance under Linux. However, having said that, stellar's something that's going to be tough to get for them on a first cut of the new codebase derived drivers- I'm willing to ask for realistic goals, which would be parity with Windows at this point. Parity with what's about to come out for MacOS would be perfect, but I don't see that as a realistic goal for them- though they could surprise us all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            OpenGL Windows Performance has improved a lot in the last years. It is as good as nVidias Performance "now".
            Depends on the application. There's some...odd...breakdowns in performance because of some design decisions they appear to have made in their drivers. (The silicon's not the one to blame in those instances...) Some games and some workstation apps can still drag the hottest machines to their knees in XP or Vista with ATI hardware and not with NVidia in the same context.

Comment

i've got some interesting "news" from this thread (http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulle...d.php?t=378087)
              in a german 3d-forum. a "guest" (->anonymous) said that the new driver will be there in ~2 weeks. well, it's kind of rumour i think. (he talks about open source-driver, too. but he also knows the avivo project so it is not too fantastic since not everybody knows projects this kind). you can't take it that seriously, but i think every myth is based on a true event... .
              what dou you think? 2 weeks? sounds fantastically^^

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
                i've got some interesting "news" from this thread (http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulle...d.php?t=378087)
                in a german 3d-forum. a "guest" (->anonymous) said that the new driver will be there in ~2 weeks.

what dou you think? 2 weeks? sounds fantastically^^
                Nope, it's not two weeks. It's ______...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Nope, it's not two weeks. It's ______...
                  I think I'll start a "Michael haters group".

Comment

well, you're not the only one, i would join^^
                    on 10th september, they are going to present their new barcelona cpu. perhaps there are similarities/overlapping?! so it seems to be this month because there is still no 8.41?!

Comment

You will find out in due time...
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X