No announcement yet.

Poll On ATI Linux Driver Possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to see ATI''s Linux drivers performance on par with it's Windows drivers. Since that wasn't an option I didn't vote.
    If the "new" drivers fail that..I'll be switching to Nvidia by years end.
    Last edited by DarkFoss; 31 August 2007, 11:55 PM.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Michael,i vote better.i trust you.when i want to buy a NV card,i decide that wait for the 'new' ati driver.but,i hope that it won't be too long before the 'new' relaese.sorry for my poor English.

Comment

i'm sure that michael is the only one who votet for the last option: "The best option for graphics drivers"...

well, i can't believe that ati hasn't discovered the linux's possibilities and they simply can't ignore the market. when you read about autodesks enthusiasm in linux, more and more hollywood movies are made "by linux" (pixar etc.). you can't ignore the trend.

Comment

Poor drivers for year after year made me avoid even considering reviews for ATI.

After 4+ years of drivers so bad it made me laugh in sadness, I moved to nvidia.

The nvidia drivers on the other hand made me laugh in surprise. "It just works...wtf?...I even upgraded to the latest kernel and it's compiling easily/ok again!".

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            Longtime Phoronix readers know that Michael is in contact with AMD. They know that Michael isn't lying. And they see him hyping the "new ATI Linux Driver", as he calls it, more, and more, and more in the last weeks.

Remember that.
            Oh, I know for certain that there's a new driver codebase in the works and that they're expecting to release it soon. The biggest thing I've got to ask is whether or not the thing is going to be something at least on a par with the windows driver's performance levels (And performance doesn't just mean speed, it also means correct rendering, memory consumption, etc...) or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
              i'm sure that michael is the only one who votet for the last option: "The best option for graphics drivers"...
              He hasn't.

Comment

I hope they will improve performance (as in speed, mostly). I suppose that is the biggest challenge. As for AIGLX, can it really be hard to implement? It seems funny that open source drivers can handle it, but it's still too difficult to do for the fglrx team.
                But anyway, I'm looking forward to the new driver, and will postpone publishing my "ATI is deliberately keeping Linux drivers bad, possibly paid by Microsoft" hypothesis until it is out and tested.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  He hasn't.
                  Ah... I guess we know who that vote belongs to then...

Anyway, I guess we will know how the new driver turn out to be... But I think, judging from the poll so far, I guess not many of us is getting excited over it.
                  Last edited by lenrek; 02 September 2007, 07:33 AM.

Comment

lol
                    well, i think that at least the opengl performance in windows, linux and mac are going to be nearly the same (perhaps 20% performance difference, not more). There was once an interview with an ati engineer and he said that the new driver will be based on the same codebase.
                    has someone still this link? i would like to read it again^^. (it was in "the truth about amd/ati" i think, but honestly, i don't know )

Comment

Originally posted by container View Post
                      I hope they will improve performance (as in speed, mostly). I suppose that is the biggest challenge. As for AIGLX, can it really be hard to implement? It seems funny that open source drivers can handle it, but it's still too difficult to do for the fglrx team.
                      It's not that it's still too difficult- it's that they never really put the needed manpower on the currently shipping codebase versions of fglrx to fix things like that and the glaring, embarassing performance problem (Half of an already admittedly weak showing in the Windows world isn't very good at all...).

It appears that the situation has changed with the new owners- just not as quickly as they needed it to be happening. They've got something in hand that will allow them to give us AIGLX fairly easily, but concerns about them not understanding Linux well enough at the kernel level to get the performance up linger. I guess we'll see if they've figured out what they were doing wrong with their interrupt processing, etc. on the new drivers when they come out.

But anyway, I'm looking forward to the new driver, and will postpone publishing my "ATI is deliberately keeping Linux drivers bad, possibly paid by Microsoft" hypothesis until it is out and tested.
                      It wasn't that they were bought. ATI's upper management thought differently of the entire picture; they were going for where they thought the money was at- DirectX support and Set-Top boxes. Heh... We know where that's been going of late. OpenGL is very relevent everywhere OTHER than on Windows and X-Box as that's really the only segments that use them and the larger market doesn't USE Microsoft in the space; it's all VxWorks, RTEMS, pSOS, Linux, and Symbian. >:-)

They got a clue somewhere along the way (AMD buying them?) and got cracking on fixing the mess they made for themselves. The biggest question would be do they have it coming up or did they miss the mark with the new codebase...

Comment

Working...
                      X