Poll On ATI Linux Driver Possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

damn you make me crazy :O
    well it is very exciting! however, i'm still happy with my nvidia 7600gs with xinerama

Comment

Michael, I remember there was a promise for a review showing cedega gold*, but it never came through. I'm assuming that cedega didn't meet the expectations, so the review was dropped.

I'd hate it if something similar happened with fglrx, after all these promises and your obvious certitude for improvement.

Can we at least be sure that your information is correct (ie. you're getting more than just some promises from ATI) ? It'd make you look like a "joe jerkoff", and people may really start hating you if ATI failed to deliver as promised.

Hopefully, you can answer the question without fear from the hit squad.

* as in "US gold", "dacian gold"

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
        Michael, I remember there was a promise for a review showing cedega gold*, but it never came through. I'm assuming that cedega didn't meet the expectations, so the review was dropped.
        Actually, in that case Transgaming would not send us the final build of Cedega that is available to the customers, just the preview/media build that still contained bugs.

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
        Can we at least be sure that your information is correct (ie. you're getting more than just some promises from ATI) ?
        The information shared thus far remains correct about the claims of what this driver will offer (performance improvements, R600, etc) plus more.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm relieved

AND

<insert big grin here>
          Last edited by Xipeos; 04 September 2007, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            The information shared thus far remains correct about the claims of what this driver will offer (performance improvements, R600, etc) plus more.
            Ugh, if the guest in that other forum forum is correct (I hope he is) this "plus more" could mean open source drivers. If this was true I would directly consider buying a new graphics card from AMD/ATI. If it is not I will stay with my good old 9800Pro that is by now at least working using the open source drivers though speed is not this good. (UT2k4 is playable at 800x600 with medium details, Doom3 is just a slideshow as well as many other 3D games)

I hope this guy was not some strange kid speculating as maybe all of us were at the times when AMD did buy ATI...
            Last edited by ivanovic; 05 September 2007, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Hey Xipeos,

I took your signature for fun and I made something out of it, check this out, Michael should get a laugh out of this .

Originally Posted by Michael
              Nope, it's not two weeks. It's ______...
              If theres any meaning behind that towards the ATI drivers, count the characters haha..

_ _ _ _ _ _ . . . (9 characters)

S E P T E M B E R (9 Characters)

Hahahaha. Of course it probably doesn't mean anything . But I'm throwing out a good guess out there. Maybe that'll spark you guys up a bit. Definitely is fun. Plus my birthday is in this month so maybe that'll contribute, ATI/AMD can give me a birthday gift.
              Last edited by Malikith; 04 September 2007, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Nope, it's not two weeks. It's ______...
                <*sigh*> You're such a brat, Michael... You're being needlessly cruel stringing us along like this. I'd almost swear you've been taking lessons from Howard Tayler in that regard. >:-)

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
                  Ugh, if the guest in the 3dcenter forum is correct (I hope hr is) this "plus more" could mean open source drivers. If this was true I would directly consider buying a new graphics card from AMD/ATI. If it is not I will stay with my good old 9800Pro that is by now at least working using the open source drivers though speed is not this good. (UT2k4 is playable at 800x600 with medium details, Doom3 is just a slideshow as well as many other 3D games)
                  Don't get your hopes up... They spent a long time in the making for those drivers- a LONG time. I would be tickled beyond words for opened sources, but that's NOT likely.

Comment

other question: are there "special" drivers from ati/nvidia for the professional series (firegl, nvidia quattro? as far as i know, nvidia do have seperate drivers?! does anyone know this?

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
                      other question: are there "special" drivers from ati/nvidia for the professional series (firegl, nvidia quattro? as far as i know, nvidia do have seperate drivers?! does anyone know this?
                      NVIDIA does have releases that are specifically designed for the Quadro or their VCS professional systems, but the normal consumer drivers should work with those GPUs as well. The workstation releases just have different quality assurance testing, etc.

ATI also does workstation testing and issue a new FireGL series update like every three months or so. It's the same driver, just additional testing goes into the release for the workstation programs.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X