Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
    lol
    well, i think that at least the opengl performance in windows, linux and mac are going to be nearly the same (perhaps 20% performance difference, not more). There was once an interview with an ati engineer and he said that the new driver will be based on the same codebase.
    has someone still this link? i would like to read it again^^. (it was in "the truth about amd/ati" i think, but honestly, i don't know )
    Shouldn't be any performance difference if they've got the interfaces to the OSes done right. The Windows and Linux drivers are expected to be based off of the same main codebase, with interfaces to the OS accordingly done. The MacOS version of the OpenGL layer is a slightly different beastie, with Apple providing the userspace layers and the hardware vendors providing mainly the hardware level hooks for the OS and the userspace piece to drive, much more like the MesaGL/DRI code design.

Comment

what do you think: will it have support for opengl 3?

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
        what do you think: will it have support for opengl 3?
        Not when the initial new driver release is out.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I think ATI's new driver will be pretty decent, when it comes out that is. Will it beat nVidia drivers? I think it may come close in the beginning and if ATI/AMD keep up the work on it, it will in time. But I think on release it will be good enough to please us all......

Or at least I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
            I think ATI's new driver will be pretty decent, when it comes out that is. Will it beat nVidia drivers? I think it may come close in the beginning and if ATI/AMD keep up the work on it, it will in time. But I think on release it will be good enough to please us all......

Or at least I hope.
            Your question will be answered in the near future.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Your question will be answered in the near future.
              The problem is that the concept of near future is relative... We are always expecting that the next release is "the good one". Unfortunatelly it has been quite the opposite.

It would have been nice for AMD/ATI to have released a decent driver (with AIGLX support) in time for Ubuntu 7.10, but now it's too late.

But I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next one... I might be surprised.

I doubt the new driver will beat nVidia's... Not at first instance at least.

And I think it's difficult to compare performance between Windows and Linux, as there is much more things to consider than only the OpenGL driver. Of course the actual driver has very poor performance, but if we could only get near Windows performance, that would be nice.

Comment

wtf with the windows comparison already! ATI's OpenGL performance has always been bad, even in windows. The way I remember it, there's little performance difference in OpenGL between the two drivers.
                Those of you asking for windows performance are asking for a bad driver! (they might listen).

I want a driver that can fulfill my graphics card's potential (and that's not the windows driver).

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
                  The problem is that the concept of near future is relative... We are always expecting that the next release is "the good one". Unfortunatelly it has been quite the opposite.

If I said anything other than "near future" or "later this year" or "this fall", AMD would probably send a hit squad after me . Just know that it is in the near future and that fall in the US is very close, or if you consider fall the start when students go back to school, we are in fall already.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    If I said anything other than "near future" or "later this year" or "this fall", AMD would probably send a hit squad after me . Just know that it is in the near future and that fall in the US is very close, or if you consider fall the start when students go back to school, we are in fall already.
                    I hope so.God bless us!

Comment

FYI, if you subscribe to the Phoronix Forums and in your control panel options area have selected "Allow Administrator Email", you will be automatically notified when the announcement is made...
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X