Poll On ATI Linux Driver Possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll On ATI Linux Driver Possibilities

With the new fglrx driver coming out later this year, what do you think it will offer? Will it save ATI on the Linux landscape?

Share your ideas and vote in the poll.
    A myth
    7.32%
    Too little, too late
    36.59%
    Better, but not as good as NVIDIA
    24.39%
    Great!
    24.39%
    The best option for graphics drivers
    7.32%
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Longtime Phoronix readers know that Michael is in contact with AMD. They know that Michael isn't lying. And they see him hyping the "new ATI Linux Driver", as he calls it, more, and more, and more in the last weeks.

Remember that.

Comment

"Great!"
      It'd better be. I just spent 150$ on an x1900XTX (against my better judgment).

Guess I trust Michael too much...

Comment

Is too late, my side has completed the changes to Intel (CPU + Graphics). If there is anymore new system that we gonna purchase, it will most likely be a year or two from now.

So, for me, is too late. But then, if it does produce a better driver, maybe it will generate some excitement to some of my old boxes... Who knows?

Comment

i've already got two pci-e ati cards. one of which is pretty well supported by opensource driver (x300) . and one which is not (x1300). i really regret buying the latter - i don't use it anymore because of various fglrx issues that make using it a challenge. especially if u use a bleeding-edge like system like me (gentoo with lots of unstable scm-packages).

Comment

Michael, what did you vote ^_^?

I think it's going to be an improvment over the previous "old" driver but I don't have my hopes high just because I suspect that there will be lots of bug issues with the "new" one.

Jawbreaker would sing - "All I want is a life without parties" but all I want is smooth HD video playback on Linux and no problems with a 2nd display (smooth video playback on it as well).

Comment

I voted too little too late. For now I'm not buying any ATI video cards. If ATI's linux support, eventually proves to be on par with Nvidia, I might change my mind then. Up untill a few months ago I was purchasing only ATI cards, but for now, I'm one of their ex-customiers.

I know we need competition (nvidia vs ati or Intel vs AMD) but, I will support the underdog only if they can provide me with what I need.
              Last edited by glussier; 31 August 2007, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Just AIGLX. Please let me get rid of Xgl.

Comment

It makes no difference at all what ATI/AMD does now. They have a steady track record of failure, so just because they are saying they will change in those 'secret' ways that will be great if they ever land and work, the fact remain: drivers fail on new kernels, drivers break on new xorgs, driver roadmaps, that stupid 1 release per month no matter if things are worth releasing yet or not, all point to ongoing issues being the norm.

Is any ati driver even running on 2.6.23 for example? And will they backport support if they do get one working, or will users once again be stuck praying that the only working one works for them?

Only time will tell, anyone who buys an ati on faith that the changes will work and be solid is... well, an idealist at best.

AMD will need a minimum of 1 year (ONE) of no problems, supporting new xorgs, new kernels, before they are released, no breaks, no major failures, and, I almost forgot, a driver that actually does work.

I'm not holding my breath, if they have managed to reach these conditions by next summer, one year from now, or 1 year from when the new stuff comes out, then it might be worth taking a new look at them.

But this nonsense of not fixing things before they break and so on, that has to stop. This year's xorg failure was particularly stupid, since they even forced their biggest supporter, michael to have no support in fedora, which shows that not only is ati sloppy, but pretty darned clueless.

Here's hoping that some heads have in fact rolled in ati, and that amd has realized that if it doesn't get it's act together, everyone running linux is going to move to full native intel stuff. As it stands now, I'd be close to insane to recommend for any client considering linux machines that they run either amd or ati.

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
                    Michael, what did you vote ^_^?
                    You'll find out later this year when the new driver comes out.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X