Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Pushes Open-Source Support For Ivy Bridge

Phoronix: Intel Pushes Open-Source Support For Ivy Bridge

Just as I had said two weeks ago: expect Intel "Ivy Bridge" open-source Linux support to be pushed to the Linux 2.6.40 kernel. This code was pushed today in preparation for the Linux 2.6.40 kernel. It will land in a similar manner to Valve's Source/Steam native Linux support coming soon, early AMD Bulldozer benchmarks, ATI/AMD's "Orka" Linux driver support in the past, etc. Here's Intel's Ivy Bridge code that enables next-generation hardware support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    It will land in a similar manner to Valve's Source/Steam native Linux support coming soon, early AMD Bulldozer benchmarks, ATI/AMD's "Orka" Linux driver support in the past, etc.
    Huh? I don't follow that. Was this just a randomly generated list of previous articles you could link to?

First you say the driver code has been released, and will soon be added to the upstream mainline kernel. Ok.

Then you compare that to the rumored Source/Steam release which you claim is coming out, but hasn't yet (unless you're saying it will also come out with 2.6.40 for some reason? It doesn't have anything to do with the kernel AFAIK.

Then you mention bulldozer benchmarks. That's not even code. Are you saying that bulldozer CPUs are coming? They shouldn't require any special code to support them.

Then you mention a past ATI driver which was released. Again, not seeing the connection. It was released a long time ago, what does that have to do with Ivy Bridge support?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Huh? I don't follow that. Was this just a randomly generated list of previous articles you could link to?

First you say the driver code has been released, and will soon be added to the upstream mainline kernel. Ok.

Then you compare that to the rumored Source/Steam release which you claim is coming out, but hasn't yet (unless you're saying it will also come out with 2.6.40 for some reason? It doesn't have anything to do with the kernel AFAIK.

Then you mention bulldozer benchmarks. That's not even code. Are you saying that bulldozer CPUs are coming? They shouldn't require any special code to support them.

Then you mention a past ATI driver which was released. Again, not seeing the connection. It was released a long time ago, what does that have to do with Ivy Bridge support?
      There's one common point... If you don't understand it now, it should become apparent soon.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        There's one common point... If you don't understand it now, it should become apparent soon.
        After thinking a little bit, I get that the ATI driver and the Source/Steam releases were/are doubted. But everyone knew Bulldozer CPUs were coming, and I didn't think there was any doubt about Ivy Bridge support either.

I guess I'll just have to wait and find out.

Comment

After thinking a little bit, I get that the ATI driver and the Source/Steam releases were/are doubted. But everyone knew Bulldozer CPUs were coming, and I didn't think there was any doubt about Ivy Bridge support either.

I guess I'll just have to wait and find out.
          Haha, well this is literally the worst night possibly for Intel to drop the IVB code.... But just wait and see, or think at least on a much broader scale.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't get it aswell, but I guess it's too early in the morning for it to make any sense to me.

Comment

Because the "No doubt, Steam is coming to Linux" article is slightly over 1 year old?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyser View Post
                Because the "No doubt, Steam is coming to Linux" article is slightly over 1 year old?
                nearly as old as the release of the Mac Steam Client ? ( wikipedia says 12 may 2010)

Comment

The first time when I read this, I though...."Well, Michael must be got enough with Augustiner last night"
                  Be cool Michael, everybody has such nights

Comment

For God's sake...

Michael, don't compare the Ivy Bridge code (whose integration to the Linux kernel is an evidence) with Steam/Source/VALVe games (which won't come, at least not before 9 years in development ; hopefully, it will have been worth the wait).

Comment

Working...
                    X