Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Intel Pushes Open-Source Support For Ivy Bridge

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,133

    Default Intel Pushes Open-Source Support For Ivy Bridge

    Phoronix: Intel Pushes Open-Source Support For Ivy Bridge

    Just as I had said two weeks ago: expect Intel "Ivy Bridge" open-source Linux support to be pushed to the Linux 2.6.40 kernel. This code was pushed today in preparation for the Linux 2.6.40 kernel. It will land in a similar manner to Valve's Source/Steam native Linux support coming soon, early AMD Bulldozer benchmarks, ATI/AMD's "Orka" Linux driver support in the past, etc. Here's Intel's Ivy Bridge code that enables next-generation hardware support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTM4Mg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    It will land in a similar manner to Valve's Source/Steam native Linux support coming soon, early AMD Bulldozer benchmarks, ATI/AMD's "Orka" Linux driver support in the past, etc.
    Huh? I don't follow that. Was this just a randomly generated list of previous articles you could link to?

    First you say the driver code has been released, and will soon be added to the upstream mainline kernel. Ok.

    Then you compare that to the rumored Source/Steam release which you claim is coming out, but hasn't yet (unless you're saying it will also come out with 2.6.40 for some reason? It doesn't have anything to do with the kernel AFAIK.

    Then you mention bulldozer benchmarks. That's not even code. Are you saying that bulldozer CPUs are coming? They shouldn't require any special code to support them.

    Then you mention a past ATI driver which was released. Again, not seeing the connection. It was released a long time ago, what does that have to do with Ivy Bridge support?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Huh? I don't follow that. Was this just a randomly generated list of previous articles you could link to?

    First you say the driver code has been released, and will soon be added to the upstream mainline kernel. Ok.

    Then you compare that to the rumored Source/Steam release which you claim is coming out, but hasn't yet (unless you're saying it will also come out with 2.6.40 for some reason? It doesn't have anything to do with the kernel AFAIK.

    Then you mention bulldozer benchmarks. That's not even code. Are you saying that bulldozer CPUs are coming? They shouldn't require any special code to support them.

    Then you mention a past ATI driver which was released. Again, not seeing the connection. It was released a long time ago, what does that have to do with Ivy Bridge support?
    There's one common point... If you don't understand it now, it should become apparent soon.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There's one common point... If you don't understand it now, it should become apparent soon.
    After thinking a little bit, I get that the ATI driver and the Source/Steam releases were/are doubted. But everyone knew Bulldozer CPUs were coming, and I didn't think there was any doubt about Ivy Bridge support either.

    I guess I'll just have to wait and find out.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    After thinking a little bit, I get that the ATI driver and the Source/Steam releases were/are doubted. But everyone knew Bulldozer CPUs were coming, and I didn't think there was any doubt about Ivy Bridge support either.

    I guess I'll just have to wait and find out.
    Haha, well this is literally the worst night possibly for Intel to drop the IVB code.... But just wait and see, or think at least on a much broader scale.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    I don't get it aswell, but I guess it's too early in the morning for it to make any sense to me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Because the "No doubt, Steam is coming to Linux" article is slightly over 1 year old?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyser View Post
    Because the "No doubt, Steam is coming to Linux" article is slightly over 1 year old?
    nearly as old as the release of the Mac Steam Client ? ( wikipedia says 12 may 2010)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Huh? I don't follow that. Was this just a randomly generated list of previous articles you could link to?

    First you say the driver code has been released, and will soon be added to the upstream mainline kernel. Ok.

    Then you compare that to the rumored Source/Steam release which you claim is coming out, but hasn't yet (unless you're saying it will also come out with 2.6.40 for some reason? It doesn't have anything to do with the kernel AFAIK.

    Then you mention bulldozer benchmarks. That's not even code. Are you saying that bulldozer CPUs are coming? They shouldn't require any special code to support them.

    Then you mention a past ATI driver which was released. Again, not seeing the connection. It was released a long time ago, what does that have to do with Ivy Bridge support?
    The first time when I read this, I though...."Well, Michael must be got enough with Augustiner last night"
    Be cool Michael, everybody has such nights

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    For God's sake...

    Michael, don't compare the Ivy Bridge code (whose integration to the Linux kernel is an evidence) with Steam/Source/VALVe games (which won't come, at least not before 9 years in development ; hopefully, it will have been worth the wait).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •