Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• id tech 5 For Linux In Question

Phoronix: id tech 5 For Linux In Question

After Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, the next title id Software is working on is called "Rage", which will use id's next generation game engine called id Tech 5. While id Software has been loyal in porting native clients of their past games such as the Doom and Quake series over to Linux, questions have arose whether Rage (id Tech 5) will be ported to Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Though as we shared last week, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars using id Tech 5 (Doom 3 engine) with MegaTextures will have a native client and has entered a private beta.
    That 5 should be a 4

I hope they release a native linux, it would suck if they stopped now. And since it's going to be on Mac (mac gamers, hehe) I don't see why it won't be on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
      That 5 should be a 4
      Oops, typo. Thanks!
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

If there's not a native Linux-client, I won't buy. It's that easy.

But after Carmack's appearance at the WWDC07 I'm not surprised.

Comment

Since no one seems to have responded, ETQW will have a native Linux client - just not during beta.

Also, id's tech5 engine (which will be used for Rage) is designed as a competitor to Unreal Engine 3, and is cross-platform by design.

Comment

Originally posted by GotenXiao View Post
            Since no one seems to have responded, ETQW will have a native Linux client - just not during beta.
            According to Michael there's a closed beta of the Linux client.
            Originally posted by GotenXiao View Post
            Also, id's tech5 engine (which will be used for Rage) is designed as a competitor to Unreal Engine 3, and is cross-platform by design.
            Sure it is. But just take a look at Bioshock. No Linux-client, even though the engine was created to be cross platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Huenengrab View Post
              Sure it is. But just take a look at Bioshock. No Linux-client, even though the engine was created to be cross platform.
              You know, guys, all this supposition about whether a Linux client for Rage is going to happen is really just noise when you get right down to brass tacks. They're not even remotely close to anything other than tech demos of the engine at this point in time. If they're designing it cross-platform, it's still possible that there will be a client- and trying to second guess the gang at Id is going to be more or less a waste of one's time- we don't need reassurances of whether something is going to be there for Linux or not at this point.

Anything else is just noise right now. Focus on things that don't have the situation more in hand- like Open Sourced or WORKING 3D and Wireless drivers, for example.

Comment

When you compare this with D3, then there is hope that Wine will run it before there is a native client. And it was not really much slower that way... But of course a native client would be better. Funnyly you can run even old 3D Marks with Wine now *g*.

Comment

If Linux is dead for id. id is dead for me Just another case of: Wait and see.

But since we have games like warsow and the potential in engines like sauerbraten I would actually be ok if Quake V wouldn't be released for Linux. If some of the Moddevelopers for Unreal and Quake just would use opensource engines... (Just look at some of the Unreal mods. Just awesome.)

Comment

Id Tech 5 will be on linux, John Carmack said himself that he would never abandon the linux platform. Heres where I got this info:

Watch the Quake Con part 9 video where he discusses the future of open source and ID. He says nothing is going to change. So, we'll still have ID games. And within the next 3-4 years I'd guess, maybe sooner, we'll get the Doom 3 engine source code too.
                    Last edited by Malikith; 05 September 2007, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X