Thread: The price of Microsoft's patent protection deal

Hybrid View

Default The price of Microsoft's patent protection deal

I just stumbled on something interesting: http://www.xandros.com/products/ip_assurance_na.html.

You can buy (optional) the "intellectual property assurance" with the Xandros desktop for 50$.

That would indicate that the other parties that partnered with Microsoft (e.g. Novell) might be paying as much as 50$ for every license they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Apteryx View Post
    That would indicate that the other parties that partnered with Microsoft (e.g. Novell) might be paying as much as 50$ for every license they sell.
    Actually it is quite the opposite. Novell makes money off of MS in that deal. MS made a upfront payment to Novell for licensing of 348 million, also in agreement MS will spend 46 million annually for marketing and selling a combined SLES/Windows Server offering and in return Novell will spend ~ 40 million back in licensing per year over the fix year deal. Since then MS has purchased an additional 100 million worth of "linux support vouchers" from Novell.

I am unable to understand what you want to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Mstealth View Post
    I am unable to understand what you want to say?
    I was just surprised to be able to see a price tag associated with the MS patent protection deal (per user), so I posted it here.

Deanjo, thanks for sharing these details.

Can someone explain this to me in laymen terms? I'm not quite sure that I understand why MS would pay so much to Novell. What exactly is meant by "intellectual property assurance", and what does this mean for the consumer?

It is supposed Novell is obliged to pay Microsoft a percentage of its revenue from Linux in order to prevent Microsoft from suing its customers based on patent infringements.

Quote Originally Posted by Saundra View Post
    Can someone explain this to me in laymen terms? I'm not quite sure that I understand why MS would pay so much to Novell. What exactly is meant by "intellectual property assurance", and what does this mean for the consumer?
    In layman terms: the "Be Very Afraid Tour"