i5-2520M (Sandy Bridge) using GPU acceleration makes 1080p a lot worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i5-2520M (Sandy Bridge) using GPU acceleration makes 1080p a lot worse

I am using Arch Linux, and if the switch "Use GPU acceleration (experimental)" in VLC Input & Codecs part is off then a H.264 1080p MKV plays at around 40% CPU. Not too bad. But I would prefer less CPU so I switch on GPU acceleration. As verified by looking at vlc -vv output I see vaapi used now (it wasnt before). Surprise: the CPU is now 50-60% and the video is choppy as hell. vainfo reports:

VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileH264Baseline : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
    VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD

So what's going on here?

I forgot to add, I am running KDE 4.6 with Desktop Effects on. If this matters.

Comment

Did you try with desktop effects off?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Basically vlc is very ineffective using vaapi. Much better are xbmc or mplayer vaapi.

Comment

Desktop effects off solved it seemingly with videolan.

Desktop effects on. xbmc was jerky though different ways than videolan. Crashed KDE when I tried to quit.

mplayer-vaapi works even with desktop effects, and the CPU is below 5%. But I get the dreaded Your system is too SLOW to play this! message and very very occassionally a few frames drop (along with the audio). That was with -vo vaapi. If I add -va vaapi as well, this leads to a KDE crash after a few minutes.

All in all either switch off desktop effects or go software or your KDE crashes.

Comment

you need -va vaapi AND -vo vaapi otherwise it is not accellerated.

Comment

Working...
            X