Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozenbyte Open-Sources Shadowgrounds Games

Phoronix: Frozenbyte Open-Sources Shadowgrounds Games

The Third Humble Indie Bundle that focuses upon games offered by Frozenbyte that are multi-platform and free of any Digital Rights Management, is still for sale at any price you wish (literally). This morning though there's been a surprise announcement by Frozenbyte with some bonuses, including the source-code release of the Frozenbyte and Frozenbyte: Shadowgrounds games!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

725.000, that is still a nice number for this module of distribution. The souce code is pretty cool but to be honest the Trine level editor is probably gone be the most fun part of these bonuses for me. Hope it gives people who not yet gotten the bundle some incentive to go for it now Glad I did !

Comment

I've only played bits of Trine so far, but a level editor for that one sounds pretty cool. Hopefully I'll have time in the near future to finish Trine and start the Shadowgrounds games (yes, I paid above the average and bought it from a Linux box). I still haven't finished a few of the games from the previous bundles either (school sucked up all of my time when I wasn't at work).

I've also heard that Valve released some new game or other, and that my wife may, or may not, purchase a copy for me for my birthday in about 2 weeks.

Comment

Darn, it seems to just be the source code for the Windows version. The Linux port is not included.

Comment

Wow, that's awesome. The Open Source community instantly has some good-looking, unique, interesting games.

Still not an OSS success story per se (they weren't developed using Open Source methodologies), but it's still very cool, and will go a long way towards helping hobbyists and Open Source developers to learn more about how to make games besides ioquake3 clones. Good deal!

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
            Darn, it seems to just be the source code for the Windows version. The Linux port is not included.
            Really? I was hoping I could compile a 64-bit version of Shadowgrounds. Oh welll.

Comment

No they did not.

The source code is released, but it's not open source:

The Humble Frozenbyte Bundle has just broken $700,000 in sales with Notch and Garry Newman dominating the top contributor board. Keeping the Humble Bundle tradition alive, Frozenbyte has just released the source code for its classic, top-down, space marines vs. aliens shooters, Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor. Anyone who has purchased ...

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                No they did not.

The source code is released, but it's not open source:

http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/04/Froz...ment-189851435
                Well has been open sourced, not open source(tm).

Comment

@deanjo and @Michael
                  No, I'm sorry, that just doesn't count:
                  THE COMPUTER CODE ("SOURCE CODE") CONTAINED HEREIN IS THE SOLE PROPERTY OF FROZENBYTE LTD. ("FROZENBYTE").

FROZENBYTE GRANTS TO END-USERS A ROYALTY-FREE, PERPETUAL LICENSE TO USE, DISPLAY, MODIFY, DISTRIBUTE AND

CREATE DERIVATIVE WORKS OF THE SOURCE CODE, SO LONG AS SUCH ACTION IS FOR NON-COMMERCIAL, ROYALTY-FREE

AND REVENUE-FREE PURPOSES. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE END-USER TAKE ANY ACTION WHEREBY THE SOURCE CODE CONTAINED

HEREIN WOULD BE USED FOR REVENUE-BEARING PURPOSES. THE END-USER UNDERSTANDS AND AGREES TO THE TERMS HEREIN

AND ACCEPTS THE SAME BY USING THE SOURCE CODE IN ANY WAY.
                  The headline should be changed, because it is absolutely VITAL that this kind of stuff cannot pass off as open-source. If the headline does not change, it could contribute further to other people having the same kind of confusion, which could weaken people's understanding of open source, which is already a big problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                    The headline should be changed, because it is absolutely VITAL that this kind of stuff cannot pass off as open-source. If the headline does not change, it could contribute further to other people having the same kind of confusion, which could weaken people's understanding of open source, which is already a big problem.
                    That's a fair point but I think the term is applicable. This is, of course, why the FSF prefers the term Free Software.

Comment

Working...
                    X