Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Linux

The private Linux beta for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars started today! Though id Software has asked not to publish any benchmarks or much beyond the minimum details until later on.

The beta team is very small, but d2kx is also on the list so perhaps he will comment on how ET: Quake Wars compares under Linux and Windows.

More info to come later but feel free to discuss in this thread.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    The beta team is very small, but d2kx is also on the list so perhaps he will comment on how ET: Quake Wars compares under Linux and Windows.
    I am going to do that if I'm allowed, but as you can guess, the Windows results will end up much faster than the Linux results (I'm having an AMD Radeon X1900 XT 512).

The Windows client is more or less open and there's no restriction to tell about it, so: I play ET: QW under Windows with all graphic settings set to High and Ultra but without AntiAliasing. Using AA is ok, but... just ok. It was necessary in Beta 1 to use AA so the trees don't look like they're from a five year old game, but they seem to force Transpareny AA or use another method since Beta 2.

I am looking forward to comparing ET: QW once again when the new fglrx driver gets released later this year. That's what I'm really interested in.

Comment

how does windows and linux compare with nvidia hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by shrewd.user View Post
        how does windows and linux compare with nvidia hardware?
        NVIDIA hardware is roughly the same performance wise.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Cross your fingers and hope that the new fglrx driver is ready before the ET: QW Linux client launches. The ET: QW Linux client should get released by the time fglrx 8.42 releases.

Comment

Played it 2 days ago for the first time (on windows that is) and I didn't really like it.

Also don't really understand the hype about it, the way it looks, feels an dplays resembles me of the 1st BF (with updated graphics).
            IMHO the game is nothing special.
            Last edited by disturbedsaint; 27 August 2007, 01:52 PM.

Comment

disturbedsaint,

I didn't like Beta 1, too. I can't say if it was because of the Map, Beta or if I just didn't know how to play. I guess it's a bit from every of these aspects. I loved ET: QW the more I played it. I can't wait for the full game that comes with 12 very different maps!

Comment

I'll care about this game once I get the hardware to run it... Not that it wouldn't run on what I currently have, but it will certainly not run "decently".

Comment

What hardware do you have?

The performance got better from Beta 1 to Beta 2, and there was another big improvement from Beta 2 to Gold.

Even if you can't play the game with high settings, I would try the demo (Windows demo is out by tomorrow) and look how it does. ET: QW really rocks, and I never played ET or Quake a lot before (but the Battlefield series, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and most other hit shooters). The better you are, the more fun it is. At first, I never would know what I am supposed to do, after that I was wondering which class I should play etc., but if you know all the classes and how to play, ET: QW is awesome.

Comment

Currently I'm stuck with an Athlon64 2800+, 1Gb RAM and a GeForce FX 5900, the real bottleneck is the GPU, though by today's standards, I'm both CPU and GPU bound

Comment

Working...
                    X